Using Icons?

Let's talk about images, are you using icons in your pages?  I'm interested in your feedback on the topics below: 

• What's your favorite source for finding images or icons?   
  • How are you hosting your images?  Do you leverage internal systems like Box or SharePoint, or do you use free websites like Imgur?  If you leverage internal systems like SharePoint, did you have to overcome any security challenges like the user having to be logged into SharePoint to see the images in Anaplan?  
  • How are you using icons in your pages? 

Feel free to share any tips or tricks, best practices, or considerations when using visuals.  

Answers

• Don't forget to check out this article for more tips on icons! 

• Personally I use images but more for communication purposes rather than icons, but the more we'll be using new UX probably we will start finding new use cases. 

As for the storage, we began using our internal shared pint sites, but always bumped into access issues (not login related but with the way we share the file with entire organization-couldn't make it work in a reliable way) -   and eventually we switched to Imgur. We also make sure no confidential data is stored on those sites. 

• Thanks for your feedback! I look forward to hearing about new use cases as you move forward.
  • Hi,

In our case we use icons from here. They are pretty useful for titles for example.

For images, we host them on sharepoint or cloud platforms. The problem with Sharepoint is that you have to have access to the Sharepoint...

We use our images to display for example products on pages for planning, but also our logo at the top of our pages !

Regards, Guillaume

• Great feedback! Thanks for sharing.
  • @Alessio_Pagliano, thank you for taking the time to share your input. 

The ability to host images in Anaplan has been added to the idea exchange (you can view it here), and it's on the roadmap for early next year. At the moment there aren't any specifics on phases or timelines. 

Unfortunately, I don't have any tips/tricks that you haven't already outlined.  If I think or hear of anything I'll let you know.  

In the meantime, it might be worth subscribing to the Releases page in Community, if you aren't already.  Any new platform enhancements would be noted here. 

• I love the idea of using icons as one way to help take a model's UX from looking like a bunch of stale tables and numbers into a more colorful and pleasant experience.

• How are you hosting your images?  Do you leverage internal systems like Box or SharePoint, or do you use free websites like Imgur?  If you leverage internal systems like SharePoint, did you have to overcome any security challenges like the user having to be logged into SharePoint to see the images in Anaplan?  

I use Imgur usually..and I try to keep a log of common URL's to icons I use regularly. But with finding icons, setting up a host link, creating line items and setting them up in UX all introduces about 5-6 extra steps for each icon, so I believe many SA's and MB's end up skipping it altogether simply because of the time it takes away from a build. What would be awesome would be the ability to keep a module with links already set up pointing to icon URL's  in a private workspace, and just import line items into a model being built.  Or even a common archive to do so built into the UX that didn't require URL's at all.

• How are you using icons in your pages? 

Sizing on the page is always a gripe for me when using icons. I find that most icons to be a square aspect ratio, which doesn't really play nice with the UX's 12 column layout and the amount of bordering white space between a card's content and the border of the card.  I rarely want the icon to be enormous, just a little image to break up the monotony on the page.  But I find they are either squished down to be too small (1 column wide) or are way too large (2 columns wide) taking up too much space.  

I would love the ability to reduce / remove the amount of "cushion" around the border of an image card to help solve this problem.  

I also prefer to show Icons on the page and page titles with their card backings hidden because I find it visually overwhelming when every card on the page has its borders showing. This means the icon I want to use needs to have a transparent backing or it'll look really bad.  With that, I generally have to go into photoshop and remove any backing to an icon, which is another step.

I say all that in case there are any plans to host sets of icons for easier use in Anaplan, that they be transparent versions 😉

• Hi! I"m newbie here.

Thanks for sharing this siteof icons. Its good that there is a great variety of themes!