Chris Weiss - Partner Perspective

Certified Master Anaplanner

Re: How to manage User on the 'User' list?

@jim_ma
In regards to your 6th question, I would suggest taking the model offline, then turning it back online when you are done.

In regards to your 5th question, copy all of the old accesses etc. and create a new account with the new email, past in the new accesses/rights, delete the previous email.

4th question has the same answer as the 5th, without the delete.

Model Role can be used for your 3rd question.

Good luck

Nice one @obriegr, you beat me to it! Totally agree on all points.

-Chris Weiss
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the tips. As for taking the model offline, the problem is that the model will still be visible to the end users. Imaging you have mutiple testing models that need development activities, the best way is to grant access during the testing, and remove during fixes. Users are always getting confused when they see many models on their lists.  

Hi @jim_ma, thanks for your question, happy to help.

User management is definitely a hot topic and a tricky one.  I’ll start with one of our guiding philosophies about model maintenance which might help set a better context for my answer.  Overall, we believe that all interactions with the model, even from an administrative perspective, should be driven from dashboards (as opposed to the model settings tab).  If the model is constructed properly, nobody should need to go into the model settings as part of their daily/weekly/monthly job, even as system administrators.

So, with that in mind, we always build an Employee Management dashboard.  Depending on your model strategy and level of maturity, this might be its own model, or might exist in a Data Hub, but for most new customers implementing Anaplan for the first time we usually just put this in the primary model we are building at first.

On this dashboard we manage everything from who works for the company and who will have Anaplan licenses, including their model role and selective access visibility.  We need to know everybody who works for the company so that we can tag and report by people, even if they aren’t Anaplan users.  For example, in a Sales Forecasting implementation, we would need to know the Sales Rep who owns an Opportunity, which means we would need a full list of everybody who works in the Sales Organization, even if only Managers and above would actually use the model.

Then for User management, we use a module on this dashboard to set the User Role (a custom list with the same value as the actual user roles in user settings), we use Booleans to say which subset this person may belong in (for example splitting out Sales Reps from Sales Managers, if we have modules that only apply to Managers), and we allow people to set selective access (should they only see a specific region, etc.).  Through import actions published on this dashboard we can create Anaplan licenses, set roles, subsets, and selective access, all from this one dashboard.  Happy to get more technical on this part if it would help.

So I think that answered a few of your questions but really was just a rant on my opinions of best practices of user management.  So for the sake of completeness I’ll go back through one by one:

• 1) I don’t think you can actually reorder the Users settings list, but if you use the Employee Management dashboard then you can change your sorting/filtering and interact with the user settings in a much more usable manner.
  • 2) Using subsets or any driver line item on the Employee Management dashboard, it would be easy to filter or group your users. From my example above, if you used Booleans to say whether somebody was a Sales Rep or a Sales Manager then you could filter on those Booleans to only manage one group of them.
  • 3) I’d use the same sorting/filtering from previous steps, and then use copy-down/across to set the same setting for the filtered group, again from the Employee Management dashboard. Even better if you can automate this access based on other attributes of the Employee (for example, use a formula to set their access to Regions based on the Employee’s Region from an HR system).
  • 4) While you COULD use a new line item formatted to the Employees dimension to say that a new user should have all the same values as an existing employee, I think this is risky and possibly over-engineering something that could be done in more flexible and simple way. So I would probably go with a Copy/Paste on the Employee Management dashboard of the old user to the new user, which gives more flexibility than using formulas which would lock you out of overriding one-off individual attributes.  Again much easier to do from an Employee Management dashboard than from the User settings.
  • 5) This one is tricky, because the email address is the unique identifier that links your Employee dimension to the Users list. I’m not sure I have a better answer for you on this one other than to manage this exception case directly from the Users settings, and to be honest I don’t think you can modify a user’s email address after they have received a license, so you might just need to treat them as a new user altogether (which is easier, just update the email address attribute on Employee Management and Anaplan will do the rest to create the new user with all the same settings as the current user), but you’ll still need to remove the old license to keep the model clean.
  • 6) 2 ways, the first way is to just take the model offline, like you would do when synchronizing through ALM (locks out everybody except Workspace Admins while you validate the deployment was successful). Second way would be to update everybody to a new a Model Role with very limited access.  You can even use an import with a formula hard-coding the specific model role you want to use, so running that individual import would temporarily update all model roles, and then you can use your standard Update Employees process action to reset whatever model role was actually set on the Employee Management dashboard.
  • 7) (From @ThierryP, nice to see some Accenture love here!) I think the only way to do this is through Tenant Administration (which I’m admittedly not up to date on), though you can use Employee Management in the new model to set all Model Roles to No Access which would effectively accomplish the same goal.

Hope that helps, I know that’s a lot to digest!

-Chris Weiss
Occasional Contributor

Chris,

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. It is really helpful. Now the reason we are not using the module-driven solution is,

1) it seems to be difficult to grant multiple values on a selective access list. What I heard is you have to create multiple lines for the same user to do it.

2) how to delete users from the user setting list

Can you please elaborate on these?

Valued Contributor

Re: Chris Weiss - Partner Perspective

Hey Chris! 

Thank you so much for taking the time to host our first external AMA! I was wondering if you could share a few career benefits you've seen since as a partner since becoming a Master Anaplanner. :) 

Thanks!

Courtney 

Hey @Courtney, great question, definitely a lot of benefits (beyond all the awesome free Anaplan swag, thanks for that!) so I’ll try to think of the most impactful to my career so far.

First off, working for a huge company like Accenture means that it was very challenging to differentiate myself.  Having achieved the Master Anaplanner status really helped make a name for myself in the company and opened up access to having a seat at the table whenever Anaplan discussions are happening, which isn’t always guaranteed in a hierarchical organization like this.  But it isn’t the seat at the table that’s the value, the real value I’ve gotten from it is being around some of the smartest people and being involved in the high-level leadership and decision-making that somebody at my level usually wouldn't be involved in.  So I’ve been able to learn a ton about being part of building a business that I otherwise wouldn’t have had access to, which has really helped me grow as a professional.

Next, I’ll say that one key part of being a consultant (and really applies to anybody) is managing your own career and creating the path you want to follow.  The part that’s difficult is that this doesn’t always align with what the company needs you to do at any point in time.  So I’d say that once I identified a passion for working with Anaplan and aligning my career on this path, it was challenging at first to get the support I needed to not get pulled in other directions.  Becoming a Master Anaplanner really helped to align my company’s priorities for how I spend my time with my personal desired career path.

But at the end of the day, a title doesn’t mean as much as what goes behind it. I think it’s really amazing that your team has done so much work to verify and confirm who really has what it takes to be a Master Anaplanner, but for me the most valuable part of the work you’re doing with the program is getting us out in front of the ecosystem and giving us a chance to give back and contribute to the community.   I get a great sense of fulfillment from helping pay it forward, so maybe not a traditional career benefit, but being part of this group definitely helps me feel good about coming to work in the morning (especially this morning!). 

I know there’s a ton more, if I think of more I’ll add them here.  Otherwise thanks to you and your team for the work you’re doing making this program so great, I’m always very appreciative of the opportunity to be part of it!

-Chris Weiss
Tags (1)
Occasional Contributor

Value of Master Anaplanner

Hi Chris

What is your impression of the Master Anaplanner program?  Would you recommend it to Anaplan customers or other Anaplan partners?

Thanks for participating in our AMA and your thoughts on this topic.

Re: Value of Master Anaplanner

Hi @michael.moore, short answer is a resounding YES.

I think @Courtney and team have done an amazing job with their recent re-vamp of the program.  While it was always valuable, I think it’s really taken a turn for the better and you should be seeing a lot of new and exciting things here, now is DEFINITELY the time to get on board. 

I recommend both partners and customers get involved.  When we work with Anaplan customers we always try to identify at least one person from the team who will become that company’s first Master Anaplanner (shout out to @AmyX, our most recent Master Anaplanner from a project last year!).  The program is great, the recognition is amazing, and from some of my previous answers you’ll see I truly believe in the power of this business-owned platform, so what better way to have expertise in house than to have some Master Anaplanners around!

Hope that helps!

-Chris Weiss

Question about Hub Hackathons...

1) What do you enjoy most about them?

2) Who has been your favorite co-judge?