What games are you playing this week?

Highlighted
Community Manager

What games are you playing this week?

With so many of us holed up inside with time to spare now that we don't have commutes, shopping, events, etc. anymore, boredom can set in quickly. That's where games - virtual, board, card, anything - can help!

Personally, I've been playing Civilization 6 on the Switch like crazy and my wife and I are looking into virtual games that we can play with our extended family while on camera. Any suggestions are appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: What games are you playing this week?

For games you can play on camera, anything with cards is next to impossible, but dice games (Yahtzee, Farkle, etc.) are easy to play. Scoring pages for those can be downloaded and printed if needed, and everyone has dice sitting around.

Some board games can be done virtually, as long as both people have the gameboard and can update it (or that one person controls the board for everyone)—classic, simple games like chess, checkers, backgammon, etc., can be set up in both places. The only considerations are that there would need to be a good view of the gameboard(s), and that both players' boards would need to be updated every turn (if you're not using a "master" board).

Other games that would likely require everyone to have their own copy but that would otherwise be useable would be party games like Catch Phrase, Taboo, Pictionary, or even (possibly) trivia games, etc. There is the possibility of a duplicate card coming up, but that's easy enough to skip past. 

Otherwise there are plenty of apps or online services that would allow for people to play virtually. 

For me, I'm playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and just downloaded Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2. 

Highlighted
Certified Master Anaplanner

Tabletopia is a free site with over 800 games that you can play virtually with friends.  Great way to have a socially distant game night.

Highlighted
Community Manager

I've never heard of this site before; this looks amazing! Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Manager

As always, I fall back into Stardew Valley. Also have been playing some Mario Maker 2 which i just picked up.
Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

I've been able to get on with Pillars of Eternity 2 (PC isometric RPG), in the good ol' days of February, when it was cold and dark, I wasn't playing half as much mainly because of commuting time and also wanting to do stuff at the weekend. But now, it does feel strange doing something that's indoors when it's so sunny outside.

Now if only I can get this dragon down all will be well...