Don't Use Show/Hide on Production List

Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Don't Use Show/Hide on Production List

DON’T USE SHOW/HIDE FEATURE ON PRODUCTION LISTS

We recently had faced an issue – On the dashboard there was one production list (Let’s say P1) as one of the dimension of a module. We had created a saved view by using Show feature on P1 page selector because we wanted to show only a few list items to the end user and not everything. Although we were able to see it perfectly on the Dashboard in the Dev environment but when we pushed the changes to the Production environment we found that there was an error on the same grid of the dashboard and the error said “No Access” on the page selector. We thought it might be because of the subsets have not been checked in the production environment but that wasn’t the case. We spent almost a day in our analysis and found out that it was Show feature that we had used on the P1 page selector. Most of us might already know that we shouldn’t use Show/Hide on the production lists but let me share my analysis on it anyway.

Production Lists have the 12 digit unique identifier which an end user don’t get to see but in the backend Anaplan understands the list items thru their 12 digit unique numbers. For Example P1.ABCD When we use Show/Hide Feature Anaplan remembers that particular 12 digit number (from backend although end users see the description).

Front End – P1.ABCD (END user see this)

Back End – 123456789876 (ANAPLAN use this) - You have asked Anaplan to Show this

Since this list is a production list, most likely your 12 digit numbers in the Production environment will not match with the 12 digit number from the Dev environment  (because it might have been deleted once or any other reason) – hence the mismatch and the error “No Access”.

Outcome - Always use Filters on the production list if there is any such requirement.

Thanks,

Misbah

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Don't Use Show/Hide on Production List

Great guide! Thanks for sharing @Misbah

Highlighted

Re: Don't Use Show/Hide on Production List

@usman.zia I am glad that you found it informative. 

Thanks,

Misbah