Re: Issue while importing data using one of the mapping options 'Ask each time the import is run'

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Issue while importing data using one of the mapping options 'Ask each time the import is run'

Hi,

I am trying to import data from one module to another. And in one of the mapping, I gave the option as 'Ask each time import is run'. The issue I am facing is it is not mapping to one particular record, instead, it is loading all the records into one record.mappingmapping

Importing from this  moduleImporting from this module

Importing into  this moduleImporting into this module

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Hi Vamshi,

In your case, "Ask each Time Import is Run" will import the sum of the records data into 1 particular record.

Example, the Sum of all records loaded into ITEM 1 which I selected.

Photo1.png.jpg

Try the alternate way to achieve the same,

Create a filter line item to select which particular record needs to be copied.

Apply the same filter in your import view and map the dimensions.

Photo1.png.jpg

~Vignesh

Highlighted
Contributor

@VIGNESH.M 

Thanks for the reply.

What you suggested will load only data for one record. What I am looking for data should be  loaded for each recorded separately on the prompt.

And records will keep on adding. So in future data should be intact for  the old records that are loaded. Import should  only change the data for  the  new record.

Highlighted

Hi Vamshi,

What I suggested will load data for one record based on the Item in the filter. 

Next time, select the different record and load data for that record only.

Photo1.png.jpg

Your previous record data will be still the same.

~Vignesh

Highlighted
Contributor

@VIGNESH.M  

So but every time someone has to change the filter manually?

Highlighted

Yes, Vamshi.

Highlighted
Contributor

But That is not what I  am looking for. Import action will on the dashboard and the user just wants to select the one record at a time and import data. 

Highlighted

@Vamshidhar_Reddy_P ,

It depends on what you are attempting or wanting to do with this import.  A couple of things to note:

• all imports should be from a view where you can filter the appropriate data (something Vignesh mentioned above).
  • The filtering also helps you to only load the data you need to load (detailed members like months vs. Quarters, as well as, in your case, Record List and not "All Records").

From what I can see in your mapping, you might have the the mapping incorrect.  If your record list is long (longer than 5 members), I am not sure you will want to be prompted everytime this action is run.  Instead, change the mapping, as well as your view,

• Line items in the columns (so you can use Column Headings)
  • remove the parent levels of Record List (so you only get the detailed members).  The parent levels can also be "removed" from the view using a filter.  If the Record List is a numbered list, you will need to have a line item showing the code so you can link on that.
  • Place Time in the Page axis, but you will need to use a SYSytem module to only bring in the months, assuming you are not loading into a Quarter or Year module

2019-03-12_08-44-08.png

2019-03-12_08-45-05.png

2019-03-12_08-45-17.png
  • Your mapping would then look like the following:
    2019-03-12_08-48-50.png

Hope this helps,

Rob

Highlighted

@Vamshidhar_Reddy_P 

Can I ask why are you importing from module to module driven by users? 

This is not "normal" Anaplan modelling so I'm interested/concerned as to why you need to do this.

We should be trying to minimise user driven actions wherever possible especially for data movements

David

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi @DavidSmith ,

Its a requirement from the user. Like I have data set in a module for several locations ad dimension.

Ex for  Jan   Loc A 30

Loc B 40 

Loc C  50

this data keeps  on changing

so in jan he  want to take  the snapshot of  it 

for record 1  Loc A  jan   30 

record 2  Loc  B Jan   40  

So if in Feb data changes to 

Loc A 35 

Loc B 45

Loc C 55 

and he creates  wants to create a new record 

say record 3 Loc a Feb 35

other previous records data  should not get altered.