Highlighted
New Contributor

User Stories by Building Blocks of Anaplan

For each business process that is documented, it should have at least one user story that falls into each of these building blocks.

Library:

Define Lists: These are the user stories that hold the meta data of the model.  Think in terms of the word “by”.  For example: I want to see inventory counts by Depot, by Site, by SKU… or I want to see Salaries by Company, by Department, by Cost Center…

Each time I use the word “by” in my description, that is a good indicator it should be a list and I will need a user story to create that list.

For each List it is not uncommon to have 2 User Stories – 1 for the creation of the List, and 1 for the population of the list elements, especially if the items on the list come from a system source.

Engine:

INPUT:

Data Integration:  These are the user stories that describe the data that we want the system to pull into Anaplan for us.  These will describe the source table fields that we want to include in our query for this data, the filters or criteria we need to get the correct information that is relevant for our model.

BUSINESS PROCESS:

User stories describe how the data pulled in from system sources is added to or feeds into business calculations that drive the process.  These are often identified by specific screens in other applications or tabs within excel models.  Each screen or tab or even section of a tab can be a user story.

For example, creating a revenue forecast that includes the following steps:

• Pulling the demand from data loaded into Anaplan
  • Pricing Manager updates price by product
  • Calculating the expected revenue by multiplying updated price by units loaded

Each step in the revenue forecast process could be a user story.  

These user stories generally describe what will become modules within Anaplan.  For modules, it is not uncommon to have 3 User Stories – 1 for creation, 1 for population of items from outside, and 1 more for calculations in the module.

Experience:

Administration Dashboards:

These dashboards are designed to facilitate model maintenance with updates to lists, manually execute global processes or set global assumptions.  These dashboards are generally utilized by a limited number of users who are responsible for model structures and updates from system sources.

User Dashboards:

These user stories describe how the user will see the business calculations described in the Engine user stories or how they would like to contribute data if needed to make the business calculations work. There may be user stories that map out the process flow and provide navigation buttons to other dashboards with directions to assist the end users.  Dashboards should be designed to make it easy for users to contribute data needed for the business calculations.

Reporting Dashboards:

These user stories describe how they would like to analyze the results of the business calculations and see graphical representation of data.  These dashboards are generally not designed for heavy user inputs.