Import Data Module and List at the same time

Hi everyone,

I have this concern of my current model, since the user will be the one to add/upload the data.

I need a friendly dashboard for them to upload the file to a Data Module. But what will happen if there are new data even amongst the lists inside of that uploaded file?

So I made this small test, where I create 2 lists and use them in a Data Module.

1.PNG

2.PNG

and this is the module

4.PNG

3.PNG

Let say that I want the user to be able to add Color name Orange while importing data Qty(or just any column) into this module.

Is there a way to achieve that? 

I think there will be a couple processes to achieve this but I'll be happy to hear your ideas.

Thank you for you help

Best Answers

• Misbah
    Answer ✓

@deantari 

You will have to create multiple imports

Step 1: Import into D|Fruits list

Step 2: Import into D|Color list

Step 3: Import into module

Wrap all these imports into one process. There is no way you could achieve that in one single import.

Hope that helps

Misbah

Miz Logix

• deantari
    Answer ✓

Hi @Misbah 

I consider using this method. Importing list one by one before importing the data to the module. Have you ever encounter a problem with this method? I'd appreciate it if you share the experience.

Thanks

Answers

• @deantari 

To achieve this, there's a many way.

You can import the file with mapping the same line item what you want to import and for that you can create a export action then import for a structure and data need to fill. So by both process they can achieve the upload file process.

Go for the below link for importing option as well.

jagadishdash_0-1664362264053.png

https://help.anaplan.com/ad84d07c-31c5-4c63-817b-a641ae142982-Clear-target-cells-prior-to-module-imports

Any  further clarification please reply, will happy to help you.

Hope it's helpful for you. If you got my answer please accept my answer as solution. 

Thanks.

• @deantari 

A few points to consider;

• Firstly import the data file. If the data has a unique key then first create a list using this key and then import the data into a module. Create line items to capture the data, formatting these as text with the exception of numbers and dates. This will be your new data module where the result of the import will be stored. 
    • Use FINDITEM to create mappings to all the relevant list in your D | Fruits module.
    • Use this data module to create list build views that will form the basis of creating / updating all relevant lists. You can use the select levels to show to remove summary items and ISFIRSTOCCURRENCE. Create a saved view for each list that will be updated. 
    • Use SUM to pull the data from the new data module into your D | Fruits module. 
    • Finally, combine the data import and list build actions into a single process. 
  • Hi @jagadishdash 

I don't have any problem with importing the data into the module. I just need to add the list member into the list at the same time with importing the module. On the exporting and importing method, can you please tell me the pro and cons of that beforehand?

Thanks

• Hi @ChrisAHeathcote 

The lists seems to be very specifics. Can you tell me what dimension should I use for this new module?
    As in my question above, I have this module with 1 list as a dimension and 1 list as the line items format. I want both of them to be updated.
    And to be considered as well, that I will need multiple lists to update in the real use.

Thanks

• @deantari yes, understood..

So this result you'll achieve by import action for both list and module then put all into the process. As i mentioned in my first reply. 

Thanks, 

• @deantari 

Yes, its a common use case. I believe importing into lists first is the only way to go.

Thanks,

Misbah

Miz Logix