Value Restrictions on Number Formatted Line Items

Options
TimPeterson
edited December 2022 in Modeling

Is anyone aware of community posts regarding the ability to add value restrictions on number formatted line items? Examples: Limit user entry to positive values for a user input line item on sales targets. Or limit users to only entering values from 1-100. I think the positive/negative/sign issue comes up a lot when overriding debit or credit lines that may need to be a certain sign and users may not have an immediate recognition of what sign is correct where.

Right now the best way I have found is to use conditional formatting to highlight inappropriate values in red so that users know they are entering a value that is wrong. I think it would be really helpful if there were to be an option to add value restrictions when setting the number format on a line item.

Tagged:

Answers

• bhubeshrana
    edited December 2022
    Options

Conditional formatting is the best approach.

However you can use below logic if it suits your requirement.

The best approach here would be to use a list.

Create a list using 1 - 100 with a property formatted as number from 1 - 100.
    Format your input with the list and create a additional line item formatted as number. Reference the list property so that you can convert the list selection to a number format to use in down stream calculations.
    This would be the easiest and simplest approach. However, you will not be able to set a default and will have to use one of the other methods if this is still required.

Thanks,

Bhubesh Rana

• TimPeterson
    edited December 2022
    Options

Thanks @bhubeshrana. I hadn't considered using a list. I can definitely see how leveraging a list to put limits on user input could work in some circumstances.