Show/hide items in graph based on page selector

Hi Anaplan Community,

I am working on a management report in which I want to show a graph with actuals and another one with forecast values. Depending on the selected period in the page selector (a list of periods), I want to show certain periods in the graphs.

Example: If the period P05 is selected as page selector, my graphs with actuals should show me the actuals for the past period, the current period and any past period which is a quarter end period (like P03, P06, P09 and P12). In this case, my graph with actuals should show only actuals for period P03, P04 and P05.

My graph with forecast values should show, depending on the same period selected in the page selector, the forecast for the current period, the next period and all future periods which are quarter end periods. So in this case, P05, P06, P09 and P12.

I managed to create this kind of filter logic based on a line item where a period is selected which is driving the calculations. On a normal dashboard I would publish that line item as a field card and I would sync the page selector with that field to get the filtering logic working.

However, in a page/slide of a management report, I don't have the option of a field card. How do I make sure that the selected period in the page selector can drive the filtering logic? Ideally I would like to get rid of the line item that is currently driving the logic.

Anyone with a good suggestion?

See attached for screenshots of what I already have.

Thank you!

Answers

• anikdas
    edited December 2022

Hi @LouiseBourgonjon 

The line item that drives the filter - does it need to be user selected or can it be automated through logic? If it can be automated, then it can possibly be derived from current period settings in time settings of the model. Therefore, it's not needed to do a selection on the line item mentioned by you.

However, if the time filter needs to be driven by user selection, then I think the user would need to select the time period in a different page and then come to the Management report page. You can still show the time period selected in a dynamic text card but afraid a selection is not possible on these pages.

• LouiseBourgonjon
    edited December 2022

Hi @anikdas ,

Thank you for coming back to me.

The item should be user-selected. The whole idea behind the management report is to allow the management to very easily compare the result of one period with a period in the past. Therefore I don't want to limit the logic to the current period. The logic should be dynamic and it should be possible to react by showing the appropriate items on the graph for the selected period in the page selector.

If it would be possible to select a period through a line item in the page of the report, that would be okay from a user-standpoint (although not super intuitive), but I don't see the management first going to another dashboard, to select a field and then come back to the management report...

• anikdas
    edited December 2022

Hi @LouiseBourgonjon 

I do have a solution but it may be a bit long-winded to satisfy the requirement. The main problem we have here is that the selection and filter are both to be made on the same dimension which will not be possible on a management report page.

In order to get around this, created a mirror dimension of the period list. In the example that I worked on, created two lists with exactly the same items and the same sequence. The reason for this is that we want to enable filtering on one of these dimensions when we select the other one from page selector.

The lists look like this:

anikdas_0-1671145482150.png

Created a property module after that to capture the sequence number of periods. Again, you will need two property modules for the two lists. 

anikdas_1-1671145551428.png

Finally, created the filter module with one line item showing which periods to filter for a given period. This module has dimensions of both the period lists.

The formula used is <'Period List 1 Properties'.Sequence = 'Period List 2 Properties'.Sequence OR 'Period List 2 Properties'.Sequence = 'Period List 1 Properties'.Sequence - 1 OR 'Period List 2 Properties'.Sequence < 'Period List 1 Properties'.Sequence AND MOD('Period List 2 Properties'.Sequence, 3) = 0>. You can modify the formula further to achieve desired results.

Example when P10 is selected:

anikdas_2-1671145699282.png

Hope this helps!

• Hi Anik,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I would rather not work with a mirror list as this might interrupt the synchronization of period selection throughout the pages of the management report.