Forecast and annual plan in parallel working in a single model
My forecast periods ends 4 weeks before the annual planning number submission. I need to find a way to use the model simultaneously for forecasting and annual planning. Is it possible to achieve? The model is also interconnected with other models. Can time and or version dimension be the solution?
THere are multiple ways to do this.
One is to use a separate version for forecasts and annual planning.
Another way is to put forecast into separate module than annual planning (depends on whether your model's complexity)
Then If using separate modules and if they have common dimensions you can then use line item subsets to merge them into one 9+3 + next year planning while protecting your 9+3 from any unintended changes.0
The topic is a bit complex with multiple nuances for the specific topic, but I will try to make it as brief as possible. The good news are that I believe you have options and a few of them are quick fixes.
The main problem you have is that the model is live and any modification in the numbers - or introduction of new numbers - will affect you forecasted values. On top of this, if you were to change you switchover period the data would be updated.
Now, down to the solutions:
- Users tab: Make the Version Read only for all the users and do NOT change the switchover period. That would stop general users from adding data into the version.
- Version tab: Make the "Edit from" and "Edit to" "None" and do NOT change the switchover period. That would make them not editable and the data will not update itself.
- Make another version and bulk copy the data from the former into the new one. Once done, apply either of the steps above in the new version.
- Ultra safe option: Make a copy of the model and archive it. The data will remain pristine.
- If you are going to continue using this version for other purposes and you need it life: Make a snapshot of the modules you want to conserve into other modules to ensure that the data remains pristine.
Lastly, please note that any formula based on the current period of the model could also affect your numbers if the current month is changed.
I hope the above makes sense!0
Just in the models you want the version to remain the same.
Hello @sakand ,
Can you please explain a bit better what do you mean when you say that forecast period finishes 4 weeks before the annual planning submission?
I have two models (one is for revenue and another one is for cost) where data are pulled from each other and they are interdepend.
I have just started my 9+3 forecasting which will end by end of June and then I shall have only three weeks to complete the Annual Planning and submit by end of July.
My question is can I use the same models for both 9+3 forecast planning and Annual planning parallelly whiteout loosing any forecasting data (like assumption and date etc)?
Thanks in advance.0
It is quite a broad question without seeing the model and knowing more from your requirements.
- Are you using fake or native versions?
- Is your forecasting data feeding your Annual Planning?
- Do you need to store this information?
It is really quite complicated to give you an answer without completely knowing your model.
I am using native version.
Forecasting data will not feed into Annual planning
Yes, once the forecast is signed off and locked then we store it. And, this is the question I do not want my forecast numbers to change and at the same time because of narrow window to prepare annual planning numbers, I want to work on new assumptions, time etc.
I am thinking of I extend the forecast to 24 months, where first 12 months is actually for 9+3 and the remaining 12 would be used for next year plan. But the problem with this approach would any trend from from forecast will effect the plan also.0
Thank you David and Bruno for your comments and solutions.
I think like many planner would have face the same problem.
I am trying to see and find out if these approaches would work knowing the complexities around.
One question for @BrunoRodriguez
Do I need to change the user and verdin settings for all the others dependent models so that they are also not getting updated.