Synchronized selection issue

Options

Hi Anaplanners,

So I have a Region List (R1) and project list (R2) rolling up to these Regions. Within R1, we identify special regions using a boolean line item in a separate module.

I have a NUX page where all the attributes of only the 'special regions' that is R1 filtered with the above line item, dsiplayed for the end user to review. Within this I also have a grid table which displays the projects (R2) and some attributes pertaining to these projects, set up with synchronized hierarchy selection. For example, If I select a special region from the grid on the top (R1 list with special region boolean filter), projects that roll up to these regions display in the second grid with its respective attributes.

PROBLEM: Since R1 as a list has two sets of data within, that is special region and non-special region, in this particular NUX report i wish to see only special region and its respective projects. So i would like to create another filter that only shows projects of the special region and not all region. Problem however is on the sync selection, say for example i select a special region and if the special region does not have a project under it, the table that displays the projects shows the previous selection of special region instead of empty. I wish to acheive the latter so if there is NO projects under a special region, just display empty table.

Note: I know that this works properly in standalone basis that is if the report grid 1 has only special region for the users to select, then grid 2 would automatically only shows projects based on grid 1 selection. However, problem is there are other pages/reports where users have access to entire R1 list and/or R1 list filtered with non-special region, so when user navigates back into the report with R1 (special region filter) and projects grid the latter's automatically syncing with R1 (non special region) which could lead to confusion in the reading of the data if the user doesnt reselect in the page.

Thanks.

Answers

• Hello @Sachinsourav02 ,

If I understand correctly, you have a boolean that flags if a Region is a "special Region" in a module dimensioned by R1 Regions. If you create a module dimensioned by "R2 Projects" and create a line item formatted as R1 Regions (Parent), you could use that line item to drive the boolean from the R1 dimensioned module.

The above basically means that you would be able to know at a R2 level which projects are "special" and I believe this filter would display an empty table if there are no special projects.

I hope the above makes sense. Please let me know if it works.

Kind regards,

Bruno Rodriguez

• @BrunoRodriguez Thanks for your reply.

I did try this but when i apply the filter to the context selector it asks me to select a region from the list manually while applying the filter and does not dynamically apply to the page. Is there a workaround for this issue ? or am i doing something wrong ?

• Hello @Sachinsourav02 ,

Can you give us a couple of pics from the system module and the application of the filter?

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Bruno Rodriguez

• @BrunoRodriguez

I tried couple of options.

1) Using the Region as dimension to the boolean line item that is used as filter:

As you can see its coming as unsupported.

2. I also try to create a boolean at the project level (looking up to R1), this filter works but problem arises in the NUX front end when a user selects South America (special region) but no R2 data, the data for grid 2 dimensioned by Project R2, would still remain in a region that has values say North America/Europe or Africa or the previous selection of the user.

If a user selects South America (Special Region) i would like to display details of South America from module R1 Region attribute while grid 2 which is module R2 Projects Attribute should display no values. This works by default i understand but considering i'm making an exclusive report that only sees special region of both R1 and R2.

• Hello,

What if you set ANY as summary?

Cheers!

Kind regards,

Bruno Rodriguez

• @BrunoRodriguez

I'm afraid ANY wouldn't work for regions that do not have projects under it. Like for example if i set ANY as summary, South America despite being Special Region enabled will not have any result as there no projects under south america.

• saket22
    Options

You can probably create another module for the R2 projects and use a IF THEN ELSE formula to fill in data only from special regions, ELSE it should show 0. That way if user selects a non-special R1, the dashboard will only show 0s.

This other module would be created only for the purpose of getting the dashboards to work as needed.