How to Apply Finditem for Lists loaded with Combination of properties

Options
anupgade
edited June 2023 in Modeling

Hi All

Say I have a list A (Numb List) loaded thru combination of properties having item count of 10.

Then List B (Numb List) again loaded thru combination of properties having item count of 6

We cannot have code in both the lists.

I want to find items in List A which are matched in List B items, so as to delete them.

i.e 10-6 = 4 item should remain in List A

So is there any other way apart from Find item formula where we can match the items in both lists?

Answers

• Hi @anupgade,

First, keep in mind that list properties are quite bad for model performance and lists should be loaded through a unique code instead of combinations of properties.

So, what I would recommend is to create, in the source file/module, a unique code based on the codes of the properties and use it as unique identifier in the import.

List 1:

List 2:

And as they are defined with the same properties, they should have similar codes. So, you can easily use finditem in the module.

Module:

With the function "ISNOTBLANK()", you can then find the duplicates.

Hope this helps!

• Hi,

I'm assuming a CODE isn't possible due to exceeding the 60 character limit.

A couple questions for you:

1. Roughly how many items are in each list?
    2. How large/complex is the model?

So, if the model isn't large, and the lookup list (especially) isn't too big…. I have accomplished a list to list lookup (to a numbered list without a CODE) through creative use of TEXTLIST. However, there's a 10,000 character limit on TEXTLIST, so this only works if the Lookup list, in particular, is relatively small. In addition, this could impact model performance… and so I'm pretty sure Planual would thrown dragon fire on me for suggesting this… but we make these decisions on a case by case basis, right?

See the attached example.

Paul