Using stacked column and bar charts to display dynamic series data with a consistent color scheme

Options
vanreign
edited August 2023 in Best Practices

The following example describes how a stacked chart can be used to display a consistent color distinction between a client company and comparative companies within an industry. Anne’s Boutique is selected as the client company from the line item list selector Select My Company and presented in charts in royal blue color. Booleans are checked to identify the comparative companies for line item Select Comparative Company. Comparative Companies are displayed in gray color.

Changes to Select My Company and Select Comparative Company immediately update the charts while maintaining the royal blue color for Select My Company and gray color for each Select Comparative Company.

Changes in selections show below now that Tito’s Things is identified in charts as royal blue color while selected comparative companies maintain the gray color.

Creation of the graphs begin with a data module dimensioned by a Companies list with various financial measure line items. Saved view created for page grid display.

A Select My Company module is dimensioned by Users with a Companies list selector. Saved view created for page grid display. Set Users List to Show All Users: Off.

A User Comparative Company Selection module is dimensioned by Companies and Users. Filter line items are created grid and graph views filters. Set Users List to Show All Users: Off.

Filtered View created in User Comparative Company Selection module for display on Page.

A Company Financial Measure Charts module is dimensioned by Companies and Users. For each financial measure, a Series 1 and Series 2 line item is created.

Net Sales Formula Example:

IF ITEM(Companies) = Select My Company.'Select My Company:' THEN 0 ELSE Company Financial Measures.Net Sales

IF ITEM(Companies) = Select My Company.'Select My Company:' THEN Company Financial Measures.Net Sales ELSE 0

Set the Number Zero Formats to Blank within the Company Financial Measure Charts module. This step is important because, while a Stack Chart is being used, only one layer is displayed from either Financial Measure Series 1 or Financial Measure Series 2. Using Zero Format of Blank prevents a zero value from being graphed and allows assigning a specific color to a dynamic data series.

Filtered views are created for each financial measure in the Company Financial Measure Charts module. Users dimension is in context, two series line items are the rows, and Companies list is the column.

Select if it is either a Column or Bar Chart:

Select Series stacking of Stacked:

Select Colors for each Series:

Hide any unnecessary default graph labeling.

Comments