What does "Unlink revisions created after this restore point." do?

Options

What does this feature do? Unlink revisions created after this restore point. Go to Model History > Choose a restore point > it pops up.

Best Answers

• HimanshuRaj
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @DaanishSoomar

It's a new feature recently released by Anaplan. If you use Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), and you restore a model to another point in its history, you are now able to unlink any revision tags between the two model IDs. It means that workspace administrators can restore compatibility between dev and prod models when previous changes to production have made them incompatible.

If after doing a sync, a change via revision has introduced a bug in the prod model. You can now restore and unlink to before the sync and then fix it in the dev and then reintroduce a fresh change.

Cheers!!

• HimanshuRaj
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @chp127

@david.savarin is right.

This is what you need to follow, after rev 2 is pushed to prod and you want to undo it:

1. Restore your dev model using the new boolean check to a history ID before rev 2 was created
    2. This will delete rev 2 revision in dev model
    3. Change mode of your prod model to standard and then restore it's history using the new boolean to the exact same history ID as of your dev
    4. This will remove rev 2 revision tag from this model
    5. Change mode of your prod model again to prod from standard
    6. Fix your work in dev model and create a new revision and then push it to your prod model via sync
    7. This is now completed!

This feature can also be used to clean up your rev tag history from the dev by removing the unnecessary pile up of revision tags which are not synced but also no longer needed

Cheers!!

Answers

• chp127
    Options

Hi @Himanshu1998 ,

Could you please elaborate how it works in prod? can you provide any real scenario.

Lets take below scenario:

1st Scenario :

1. In dev model, Rev 1 is created and its moved to prod.
    2. In dev model, Rev 2 is created and moved to prod.
    3. Now Rev 2 changes have to restored using history "Unlink revisions created after this restore point" from dev model.
    4. In dev mode, Rev 3 is created and when try to move rev 3 in prod , prod model will be no more Compatible with dev.

2nd Scenario :

1. In dev model, Rev 1 is created and its moved to prod.
    2. In dev model, Rev 2 is created and moved to prod.
    3. After moving Rev 2 changes you realize some data lose in prod , in that case we can restored using history "Unlink revisions created after this restore point" from dev model and prod model.
    4. In dev mode, Rev 3 is created and move rev 3 in prod.
    5. What if after few day you have to restore rev 2 from prod then will lose production data.

• david.savarin
    edited July 2023
    Options

For your first scenario, i think you need to restore the prod model to the previous revision tag

This is necessary to keep compatibility between the 2 models :

“The latest revision in target model must exist in the source model.”

• chp127
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi @Himanshu1998 ,

Thank you for explanation, but its same scenario 2 and what about data lose in prod ?

• swapnil_J
    edited July 2023
    Options

• Hi All

Hopefully by now you've had chance to test out this quite helpful functionality. But if you're still wondering it basically allows you to restore your deployed model to before the most recent sync point (just remember to tick the box), do the fix in the DEV model plus revision tag and then sync the new revision tag through to deployed model.

If you forget to tick the box then the sync breaks.

@Himanshu1998 I personally wouldn't undeploy a deployed model - you should just be able to roll-back the DEV model, do a new revision and sync that to PROD.

@chp127 yes you would lose production data because you're restoring the model to a point in time as all the calculations have been changed

• Hi all,

Great topic. What if I want to go back in history of my prod model before a revision tag just to review some data and then revert it? Can I use this new feature, not breaking the connection, and then return all production and structural data back?

• @andrewtye @Himanshu1998 Finally got into an issue and had to search for this topic. A couple of questions:

1. Andrew, you mentioned you should be able to create a new revision and sync. But wouldn't PROD already have more RTs when you unlink and delete a few RTs from Dev? You would need to make it standard before you are able to go back and skip a few RTs isn't it? Let me know if I am missing something
    2. @Himanshu1998 even if we do this, this does come with a loss of production data because you are essentially reverting the whole model back to a previous ID instead of just reverting the structural changes. Let me know if I am missing something?

• @ankit_cheeni

Yes, if you have to revert your production model to a history id then this will lead to production data loss as all the calculations would have been changed

Cheers!!

• I used this future mistakenly, not the DEV is no longer compatible with the production. Not sure how to deal with it.