Link 2 data sets

Options

Hi

We have a module with multiple relationships, like manager to employee relationship and employee to office relationship. The end goal is to have 1 line item with all 3 (manager, employee and office) in 1 line item. We created 2 modules from the parent module as below

Module Mgr-Emp Rel

List "Rel"

Rel 1

Mgr1

Emp1

Rel 2

Mgr2

Emp2

Module Emp-Ofc Rel

Rel 3

Emp1

Ofc1

Rel 4

Emp2

Ofc2

how should I display the data as below

Mgr-Ofc rel

List?

Mgr1

Emp1

Ofc1

Mgr2

Emp2

Ofc2

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• TristanS
    Answer ✓
    Options

@yatin.ajbani Your modules are structured as a relational model rather than a dimensional model. I get the impression it is replicating the structure of the database table from which the data is sourced from. Ideally, additional transformation should be been performed to restructure the relationships as dimensional rather than relational. But given what you have, there's several ways to get this to work. Quick and nasty way would be:

1. Add boolean line item "Flag" to both Rel modules and default value to TRUE as per below
    2. Mgr-Ofc rel to be defined as per below

Then apply a filter to the view such that only combinations where "Is Related?" = TRUE is displayed. This will create a lot of sparsity though. I'd highly recommend you transform the data in to a proper list hierarchy

L1 Mgr

L2 Emp

Module Mgr-Ofc rel

List: Mgr, Emp

Line Items

Formula

Formula

Mgr Item

ITEM(Mgr)

ITEM(Mgr)

Emp Item

ITEM(Emp)

ITEM(Emp)

Is Related?

'Mgr-Emp Rel'.Flag[ANY: 'Mgr-Emp Rel'.Mgr, ANY: 'Mgr-Emp Rel'.Emp]

'Mgr-Emp Rel'.Flag[ANY: 'Mgr-Emp Rel'.Mgr, ANY: 'Mgr-Emp Rel'.Emp]

Ofc Item

IF Is Related? THEN 'Emp-Ofc Rel'.Ofc[FIRSTNONBLANK: 'Emp-Ofc Rel'.Emp] ELSE BLANK

IF Is Related? THEN 'Emp-Ofc Rel'.Ofc[FIRSTNONBLANK: 'Emp-Ofc Rel'.Emp] ELSE BLANK

Module Mgr-Emp Rel

List "Rel"

Mgr

Emp

Flag

Rel 1

Mgr1

Emp1

TRUE

Rel 2

Mgr2

Emp2