How I Built It: Two-step approval process and audit trail

Options

Greetings fellow Anaplanners!

In this episode of ‘How I Built It’, I show you how I build a typical two-step approval process and corresponding audit trail in Anaplan.

This functionality accomplishes the following requirements:

1. Analyst users can submit a batch of process data or model results.
  2. The manager user then can choose whether to approve or reject the submission.
  3. Anaplan captures data about EACH action in the business process, creating the audit trail.

What other kinds of approval processes have you encountered? What other methods have you seen for this type of functionality? Let me know in the comments!

All the 'How I Built It' tutorials can be found here.

About the Author: Mitch Aist has been a Master Anaplanner for 6+ years. During that time, he taught Anaplan at the university level and developed solutions across a wide range of industries for FP&A, workforce planning, and sales operations planning use cases.

Comments

• Hi Mitch,

Thanks for sharing this!

In your approval design, do you capture the submitter and date of submission in your audit trial by any chance?

Thanks,

Amy

• maist1
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi @AmyX In this demo, I didn't include the submitter and date in the audit trail.

The User can be captured with an additional load action. This action loads the audit trail line items from a saved view of a module dimensionalized by the User list.

The date can be loaded to the audit trail but needs a source, like a user-input cell.

Hope this helps!

• Thank you, @maist1 !

• elif
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi Mitch, thank you for such an informational video and your generosity for sharing your knowledge! I am wondering if there is a way automatically inform the manager once analyst submits his work. How the manager will be notified each time? Thank you!