Creating Scenario Planning in Anaplan

Options
Megha27
edited December 2023 in Modeling

Hey Folks,

I am considering building a couple of scenarios to my base case by creating a new list called "Scenarios" in my model. Really the only driver for all different scenarios is going to be "number of new heads" so i think I can do away with adding the new list in only a few relevant modules on a need basis. I want to be able to do this without adding much complexity to the model or getting the model size much bigger.

Can someone tell me if doing it this way is a good idea and if it is, what should be my top-level/parent item in my Scenario list?

Any other ideas, thoughts on how to best approach this would be massively helpful.

Thanks much,

Megha

Answers

• Hi @Megha27

You can imply this method of adding a scenario list to the modules which are required this "New Heads" attribute change for different scenarios. This is a good methoadology to carry on with your process.

Although, if you have only one attribute which is changing, then you can consider applying the "Scenarios" list only to the "number of new heads". In this method you have to give option to change the "number of new heads" either by giving a seperate grid in the New UX or giving the same number of line items (for eg; Line Items as Scenario 1, Scenario 2, Scenario 3 etc) and in the backend you can map these scenario line items to each items in the 'Scenario list' which you can use in the Scenario comparison report for your likes.

Please let me know if you need more info on this.
    Happy to help

Thanks,
    Puneeth HP

Success is the Intersection of Dreams and Hardwork!

• Hi @Puneeth

Thanks for your response. Can you please elaborate on the approach that you are suggesting as to how do i go about applying the Scenario list to only one line item i.e. no of new heads?

In the approach that I was thinking earlier, what would be my parent roll-up of the scenario list? I think that idea may not work after all. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

• Puneeth H P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi @Megha27

As per my understanding, there should not be any parent level for Scenarios list, instead you can go for Scenario list "Top Level". That would be sufficient in your calculations.
    In the 'applies to' column, you can add the Scenario dimension only to that "No of New Heads" line item. By doing this, you will have a subsidiary view for the same. That is why I mentioned that you should give a separate grid to change the values for "No of new heads" for different scenarios, and you can use this to your convenience.

If this method is not sufficient, you can apply the "Scenario" dimension to the whole module. Where you can have one Standard Scenario to input the values/Import the original Values into the module (For eg; 1st scenario as "Working Scenario", & next scenarios as Scenario 1, Scenario 2 etc)

Also, as I had explained you earlier, having the different line items for "No of New heads" (for eg: No of New Heads 1, No of New Heads 2, No of New Heads 3 etc). Later these line items can be mapped to the corresponding Scenario list items. This is not a optimum method if you have dynamic scenario list or more items in Scenario list. If you could limit the scenarios, then you can go for this method.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
    Puneeth HP

Success is the Intersection of Dreams and Hardwork!

• Thanks so much @Puneeth H P Let me attempt it as you suggested and then get back to you if I have any more questions. Thanks again.