How to Split A Model into Two Separate Models

Hello All,

Our current model is about to hit the max workspace size of 130GB, so we divided it into two models based on the region. Imagine having 1000 stores, and creating a new model with 500 stores. My question is how to remove those 500 stores in the new model from the original model. What are the best practices and the things I need to be aware of. I could simply delete them or create a new list subset under the store list with the remaining stores, or there might be other options and considerations. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions!

Best Answer

• shubhamrawat
    edited June 18 Answer ✓

Hi,

Creating a new subset of the main list will require you to setup the actions again, as the subset will be treated as a new dimension. Before deleting, make sure that none of the formulas uses any hard coded Store Name/ code, parent(), etc. Also, the roll ups will be impacted so make sure to edit the formulas which use any all store totals. To delete the stores, simply use a boolean line item, load it for the stores to be deleted, or you can put it as a formula if you have a System module dimensioned by the stores list and then create "Delete from list using Selection" on Action panel.

Answers

• Hi,

Adding to the best practices, as you had both regions in a single model before it sounds like the planning and calculations for both were exactly the same. I would recomend the following steps in creating the new region model:

1. Mark all list that are unuque per region, like stores as production lists
    2. Create a revesion tag of the model to save it's structure
    3. Create the new model from revision, this will create a model where all production lists are empty and all inputs are blank.
    4. Creating a model from revision will enable you to link the 2 models via ALM.
    5. In your DataHub or data uploads, adjust the filters of the upload to send only the relevant data to the specific region model.
    6. Choose one model that will be your master model and change the mode of the other one to deployed. (You simply can't make structural changes to deployed models, this will make sure you can't break the ALM sync)
    7. Now you have 2 models with the same structure and if you develop features in one you can simply synchronize them to the other model. making sure you don't have to build things twice and both models always keep the same structure.

• Thanks @Ingilavicus, but just to be clear, we already have a DEV and production model, and I created another production model. My question is about removing 500 stores from the old production model. Thanks