Boolean oriented Show/Hide & Variance

shlokhan
edited August 7 in Modeling

Given a module which has Time(quarter) dimension, Total $ (line item), Scenarios(list, dynamically user created). On a dashboard view, how can we let user choose which Scenario they want to see based on boolean and create variances of selected scenario?

Answers

• The 6th comment in this article is by @LipChean_Soh. It has the answer to your question.

Replace dropdown filter with Boolean filter.

• User specific boolean filters will filter time, versions, or any dimensions you want to filter on the page.

Check out: https://community.anaplan.com/discussion/154827/how-can-i-filter-out-certain-time-periods-in-my-time-filter

• I have achieved the Boolean based filtering part. What remains is calculating Variances for selected 2 scenarios. Any straight forward way for achieving it?

• Is Boolean based import possible? So that 2 scenarios can land into different module and calculate variance there.

• seymatas1
    edited July 26

Is Boolean based import possible? So that 2 scenarios can land into different module and calculate variance there.

The answer to your question depends on the requirement, business processes, how often you run a variance analysis, and the speed of your model.

Here are two cases:

Case A:

You need to calculate the variance in a few modules once a month. Running an import, either automatically or manually, can be a good solution.

• Manual Import: Users enter numbers and run the action that populates the variance module through a UX page. However, this will block your model many times a day, as running an import action blocks the model. If your lists are large, this action might take 4-5 minutes, which is too long for someone to wait.
    • Automated Import: If you automate the import, say at 6 AM Central Time, users will enter their data today but won't see the results until the next day after the import runs. This might confuse users and will require training and proper documentation.

Case B:
    You want to make a real-time variance analysis in all reporting modules every day, you should develop a solution similar to the one by @LipChean_Soh, which works instantly.

I hope this clarifies both solutions for you.

• Consider this,

The below module controls which Scenario user should select.

That filters the below module to show values for scenarios.

I wanted to fill Comp 1 and Comp 2 of this module through an import or any other possible way for the 2 filtered comp.

I tried performing the import action but it has fixed scenario to fill either Comp 1 or Comp 2. I want the scenario to be dynamically imported into comp 1 or comp 2 as per user.