Kickstarting your career in the Anaplan ecosystem: A beginner's guide

einas.ibrahim
edited August 16 in Blog

Author: Einas Ibrahim, Finance and SPM Consultant and Certified Master Anaplanner.

Embarking on a journey in the Anaplan ecosystem offers a unique blend of challenges and opportunities. As someone who started from the basics and advanced to being recognized as a Certified Master Anaplanner, I've gathered numerous insights not only from my own experiences but also from supporting many others during their Anaplan journey. I've seen firsthand where learners often struggle and succeed. This blog aims to guide new learners in establishing a robust foundation in Anaplan; sharing key strategies and insights that have been pivotal in my development.

Tips to getting started in the Anaplan ecosystem

Learn the basics with Anaplan Academy

Depending on your background and familiarity with multidimensional systems, you might consider starting with the Anaplan Essentials courses (Academy login required) at the learning center. These fundamental courses lay the groundwork for understanding the platform’s core concepts and multidimensional modeling. If you lack experience with multidimensional systems like Anaplan, I recommend beginning with the Essentials of Model Building course. This course, which simulates end-user experiences, can provide a practical understanding, setting a strong base for your advancement. I have observed that these initial steps are crucial for some learners before they dive into Level 1, as they prepare you to grasp the basic functionalities before tackling more complex scenarios.

Advance with certifications

Advancing to the Model Builder Certification (Level 1, Level 2, and the Anaplan Way (TAW)) is essential after mastering the basics. These certifications deepen your understanding through complex model building and advanced scenario analysis. Each level builds upon the last, improving your skills and preparing you for more detailed challenges in enterprise planning. To reinforce this knowledge, I recommend that learners rebuild the models they've created during certification training independently, without the aid of step-by-step guides. This practice not only reinforces learning but also cultivates an intuitive grasp of Anaplan’s functionality.

Emphasize best practices and Planual guidelines

A critical component of development in Anaplan should include a thorough understanding and application of the Planual — Anaplan’s manual for Connected Planning best practices. Adhering to these guidelines ensures model optimization and efficiency, which are vital for handling complex projects. Also, following the Best Practices suggested by Anaplan's Operational Excellence Group (OEG) can greatly improve your model-building process. This will make sure you follow industry standards and improve the overall performance of your solutions.

Take time before advancing to Solution Architect

Before rushing into the Level 3 Solution Architect certification, it's essential to take time to practice and apply the skills learned from earlier certifications. Building a variety of models across different scenarios improves your practical experience and prepares you for the challenges of the solution architect role. This measured approach allows for deeper understanding and more effective application of Anaplan’s capabilities in real-world situations.

Achieving Certified Master Anaplanner status

Achieving Certified Master Anaplanner status is a significant milestone that marks the pinnacle of Anaplan certifications. This achievement not only validates your expertise but also enhances your credibility within the Anaplan community, allowing you to mentor others more effectively. For those interested in the details of my journey to becoming a Master Anaplanner, I invite you to watch my interview where I share experiences and insights that could guide you on your path.

Practical application and Anapedia

Utilizing Anapedia to deepen your understanding of Anaplan’s capabilities is essential. This online resource provides comprehensive information on functionalities that are crucial for refining your modeling techniques, especially after moving past the structured lessons of certification courses.

Hands-on practice with Talent Builder Program

Engaging with Anaplan’s Talent Builder program to apply what you've learned is helpful for practical experience. Additionally, participating in community challenges can further refine your skills and expose you to a broader range of platform applications, ensuring that your learning is well-rounded and focused on real-world applications.

Engage with the Anaplan Community

Active participation in the Anaplan Community has been a rewarding aspect of my journey. Being recognized as a Community Boss reflects my commitment to assisting other Anaplanners through their learning paths and has allowed me to make a significant impact on others' experiences in the ecosystem. Get involved in Community — it'll help others and keep your skills sharp!

Build and showcase your portfolio

Compiling a detailed portfolio of your Anaplan projects is crucial. This portfolio should document the challenges you've tackled, the solutions implemented, and the results achieved, providing a tangible demonstration of your capabilities and professional growth.

Continue your learning and professional growth

Keep learning about Anaplan's changing platform. This will help you regularly improve your skills and stay competitive in the field. There are monthly updates and quarterly events to help you in this area.

Conclusion

From taking initial steps in learning to reaching Certified Master Anaplanner status and sharing my insights, my journey in the Anaplan ecosystem has been a rich tapestry of learning and growth. Each phase of development has been an opportunity to deepen my understanding and refine my skills, paving the way for professional success. By sharing my journey, I hope to inspire you to seize each learning opportunity and community interaction, leading you to your own success in the dynamic world of Anaplan.

Questions? Leave a comment!

Comments