Is it possible to show some kind of validations if I try to enter the same value twice.
Ideally I just want to avoid duplicate entries in to anaplan
Yes, the exact approach will vary depending on the circumstances. However, in short, I do this by creating a line item that contains a hard-coded 1 (numeric). Then, I sum that number (1) by the values I'm entering that can't be duplicated... if any of the sums > 1, then I know I have a duplicate. Its a bit circular, but in a 2nd line item, we can pull the summed amount and, if > 1, we can apply some conditional formatting, or indicate an error message.
Here's an example that may help provide context:
Let's say we are managing a task list. Part of the process is to assign each task to an employee, but each employee can only have a single task at a time. We need a control to make sure we don't over-assign employees! To assign the task, we have a line item in the task list (module) named "Assigned To" and its formatted to the Employee List.
The above example is very simple and there will be nuances, but the approach is similar regardless.
To filter the list (item 2) each time an employee is assigned, we do the following (just in case you wanted to know)
Let me know if any of this helps.
paul
Hi Paul,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Could you please apply your logic for data in the attached screenshot.
where I have an Employee Number and I created a list item with hard coded value 1, we have got duplicate value of EMP002(occuring twice in the data).
How will implement your logic over here.
Hi,
See attached example. this is Dependent Formatting. Thanks for the question, I've actually never used this before!
One thing to note about (my example): If you are using versions, this method of dependent filtering can only apply to one version (typically the Current Version, but it can be a different one). Most of my work is with FP&A models, so this is something I have to think about. The point is that, while the filtering is helpful, it might be useful to put a validation (e.g. Conditional Format, message, etc) in place (using most of the same constructs in the attached Word example).
Paul
Thank you so much for your help paul 🙂
Hi everyone 👋 If you build or maintain Anaplan models, you've probably hit the same walls I kept hitting. Some basic questions about a model's structure have no single screen to answer them. You end up clicking through modules and pages one by one, or writing API scripts just to get a list. These were the gaps that…
Hi Everyone, We have a requirement in Anaplan Consolidation & Reporting (Fluence) where the Entity Structure needs to change effective January 2026. The key requirement is that the existing entity structure should continue to be applicable for all reporting and consolidation periods through December 2025, while the new…
We've been building a tool called aplan4sheets and we'd genuinely like input from this community — both on what we've built so far and on what we should prioritize next. The problem we set out to solve: Anaplan's Excel add-in is Windows-centric, and there's no real native way to pivot Anaplan data in Google Sheets. We…