When should I produce a report versus a dashboard?
There are many times when I am trying to determine the difference between using a report (via the Excel Add-in) or a dashboard. So, what's the difference? Reports Reports are general management formatted reports that are distributed, think "board packs." They are:
- Generally static in nature and have the same elements each time they are created.
- High-level of content
- Summarization of: Income statement, Balance sheet, Cash flow, etc.
- Not interactive
- Sanitized and fixed
- Highly formatted with: Line separations, logos, branding (fonts and colors)
So when would I use the Excel Add-In?
- When you need to produce highly formatted reports
- There will be offline distribution of the data and information
- The end user can't/won't log into Anaplan
Dashboards Dashboards allow the user to interact with the Anaplan data. They are:
- Enabling the user to change data parameters
- Linking tables and charts
- A combination of a report and chart
- Another higher level of reporting - less context, more numbers
- Allowing the drill down into the details behind the numbers