I am trying to optimize the model size.
Can you please suggest me the main ways to reduce the size.
Thanks and regards,
Where to start
1. Summary options - Look to turn those off whenever possible
2. Look for line items that have more dimensions than are needed for calculations
3. Do you need all of the detail in some multi-dimensional modules?
4. Do you have modules / line item that are not used?
5. Could you use subsets instead of full lists for large lists?
A lot of the above has been articulated in various of my posts. If you go to this page (or the Planual) there are links to most of them
I would also read the blog on sparsity
One should not reduce the size just because it is large per se. Size and performance are not related. Small models can (and often do) perform worse than large models because of the issues raised in my posts
If you think you will need some help, talk to your Business Partner about our Model Review Accelerators
Thank you, I am checking line items and modules not using.
I am trying to adjust the formula.
Could you please suggest me on below points,
1. How can I find a summery line item not required to line items?
2. Please explain in brief regarding summery.
Have a read of the referenced articles, specifically Reduce calculations for better performance
In terms are are they needed:
1. Look for line items not referenced by anything and that are not visible on dashboards
2. Look for "detail" to "detail" calculations - often the source can have the summaries turned off
3. Do you need summaries on both Lists and Time
Thank you for your reply.
I know these are basic questions. it will be helpful for me.
Can you please explain or suggest an article on the below points.
1. What is the Summery in line item?
2. Why summery line items consume high space?
3. what points should consider before changing the summery?
4. I read your article regarding sparsity. Is it possible to apply the sparsity concept in Live models?
Could you please share your views on the above points.
All is explained here
1. What is the Summery in line item? Summary is the built in feature in Anaplan (Blueprint mode) which tells the system if the numbers need be aggregated, averaged etc when the user navigates through hierarchy or time dimension.
2. Why summery line items consume high space? When you Keep summary as SUM, by default Anaplan understands that it has to aggregate the numbers and the cells where these numbers stay remains open and your number of cells increase - that's why you see the increase in size when you keep Summary on SUM
3. what points should consider before changing the summery? Only one point - whether or not you want to aggregate the numbers. If you don't want you can change the summary to None
4. I read your article regarding sparsity. Is it possible to apply the sparsity concept in Live models? If your Live Model is in Deployed state you anyway can't do that. But You can always optimize the model at any stage provided you know the model really well. It shouldn't happen that in order to optimize the model you actually take the functionality away from the business.
Hope it helps!
Summary area of a line item, it is in the Blueprint section.
For more information about the blueprint, please follow this link:
Anyone looking for Optimization Techniques might be interested in the following links from Rob Marshall. In addition, there will be a breakout session during the 2022 ACE on Thursday, October 10th at 1pm ET (Modeling & Architecture: Model Optimization) that you may want to join and ask questions. Hope to see you all there!