Selective access: Sum/Total does not work!

Dear all,

My company is at the end of the project and we've just found out the Selective access cannot show the total budget amount! Particularly, we have many expense category and for example Labor expense include personnel costs (owner is HR department) and non-personnel costs (owner is general affair department) and it's a must that they cannot see each other budgets. We've already set up the selective access for both but the PROBLEM is each one can see their items under their owned category but CANNOT SEE THE TOTAL of their budget.

Please kindly advise: Is there any solution to this? Right now the only solution for us is to DISABLE THE SELECTIVE ACCESS and duplicate a lot of modules with subsets and then duplicates the dashboard for each owner and that is very frustrating for both Building and then Maintaining the model. What's the use of selective access if it can not show the filtered sum/total anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mike

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @mikeng,

I am not aware, how to bring parent using selective access.

But i have a idea of using SELECTIVE ACCESS and DYNAMIC CELL ACCESS.

Step 1: Create a System Module with user list (Custom User List) and budget List(Child Level) as Dimension and 1 Boolean formatted line item(lets say "ACCESS").

Change the summary for ACCESS to Any.

Step 2: Provide selective access to Custom user List.

Step 3: Enable(Mark True) the budget list (Child Level) that the particular user can view/edit in System Module.

Step 4: Apply the filter to your corresponding module.

Step 5: After publishing in the dashboard, You can dis-enable Data->Filter access for the module form Menu option in Dashboard design settings, so that business users cannot remove or change the settings.

if you like this let me know i can give some visual example or let us wait for some better suggestion from Anaplan Team.

Thanks,

Sorna Raja Prabhu

• @mikeng 

Anaplan can't display individual leaf item and then top level item of the hierarchy, skipping all other parent nodes. It will display leaf item and its parent plus whatever selection you make on top of that -  will be visible ( read or write)

To solve your problem you can exploit the usage of Dynamic Cell Access in your model but there is catch you will have to provide Read Selective Access to Top Level of the hierarchy and then apply DCA to your modules. Output might look like this

Misbah_0-1585635880545.png

Edit:

Post Applying filters - It should look like this

Misbah_0-1585636219651.png

Hope this helps

Misbah

• Hi @mikeng ,

Have faced similar problems in past. The roll up of data happens independently of the selective access currently.

Had devised a solution using a combination of selective access module kept as system module and using the same for calculation of cost at an aggregate level (especially when users don't have aggregate level access).

Here is how I have approached this:

Lists:

Created two lists - Cost Heads & Cost Details. Cost Heads as the parent of Cost Details.

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 11.58.20 AM.pngScreenshot 2020-03-31 at 11.58.32 AM.png

Input Module:

One simple module to have the source data of costs. This can be calculated in your case.

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 12.00.18 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-03-31 at 12.00.31 PM.png

Selective Access Module:

Here comes the tricky part. Idea is to populate this basis the selective access settings in the Users tab. You can create the export from the user tab (make sure to save the export definition). This exported file will be brought back into Anaplan in the system module and used for calculation.

Once the exported file is available, this needs to be imported into Anaplan and calculations need to happen. Below are the structure of the module and the import definition.

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 12.05.33 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-03-31 at 12.05.45 PM.png

Import Definition:

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 12.06.20 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-03-31 at 12.06.37 PM.png

Aggregate Calculation:

The final bit is to calculate the aggregate cost number based on the selective access settings. This is a simpler calculation. Module structure and data as below:

Screenshot 2020-03-31 at 12.13.41 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-03-31 at 12.13.59 PM.png

You need to use users list in the calculations as selective access is at a user level.

Please let me know if this is something that can be used.

Thanks

Anik

• How to tackle this situation in a case when there is only two levels list structure. Suppose, Level 1 is India (Country) and then Level 2 say, Karnataka, Maharashtra, West Bengal and Delhi (States) and the input is at the level of States. Karnataka & Maharashtra falls under Regional Manager A and West Bengal and Delhi under Regional Manager B. In this case, if I give write access to Regional Manager A for Karnataka and Maharashtra, then also in the module, he will be able to see the values for the other child items.