Level 2 - Sprint 2 SYS01 Time Setting by Week module

Hi

I was going through this module and need to understand the functions in the orange box below.  

I read through the explanations Anapedia to get some sense of how it is applied but need help for further understanding? 

Star_1-1586977253405.png

Thanks.

Comments

• hi @Star -

I am also working on Level 2 and just started Sprint 2 so my answers here are closer to a guess than based on real Anapan experience.

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are looking to get some more details on the logic behind the functions you have called out.

I believe that the first line item "Current Period?" is being used to flag whether a specific time period is the current period - it is then the input into the other line items in the module.

YEARVALUE is used in "1st Forecast Year?" to efficiently determine if a time period (in your example a week) is in the same year as the current period.  This is rather interesting as YEARVALUE seems to typically be used to summarize a number value based on what the summary method of the line item...in this case though it is applied to a boolean.

Many years ago I programmed in a multi-dimensional database called Express; to have fastest code possible your tried to have Express implicitly loop through the data versus explictly doing so.  I think that is what is being done here with YEARVALUE.  You could come up with the same result using IF-THEN-ELSE logic but I bet YEARVALUE "implicitly" loops much faster then an "explicit" function such as IF-THEN-ELSE.

At any rate, will let experts weigh in as I am a junior newbie 😉

• Hi @davidmccarty
    Thanks for your response. I am a noob in Anaplan......having the same thought as you on this.

Yeah, the YEARVALUE example in Anapedia refers to summary of a number value based on the defined summary method for the line item.

It looks like the YEARVALUE used in "1st Forecast Year?" for Boolean is to populate the periods in the same year as Current Period.

Let's wait for the experts to help us in the understanding of this 🙂