Formula problem - adding values in the same line item

Hi Guys,

I just want to ask help on the formula. I was able to create a formula and got the values but the succeeding time does not show no values.

This is what it looks like in excel

Jsdeloria21_1-1580370791159.png

I also included the formula on the sheet for col K, L and M. Row 7 will just add values.

I got the first two values correctly. See below

Jsdeloria21_2-1580372201332.png

Row 6 line item is the one that needs the formula for the SUM in excel.

Appreciate the help

Regards,

Best Answers

• Misbah
    Answer ✓

@Jsdeloria21 

If the values need to be incremental then your formula should be

ELSE (Previous(Row 6) +1)  & not ROW 5

Thanks,

Misbah

• Hi @Jsdeloria21 ,

As @Misbah told to you that In the ELSE Condition you need to put ROW 6 Instead of ROW 5. Please find the below screenshot.

naushad786_1-1580376321176.png

Thanks

• Hi Misbah,

Appreciate the help on the issue. I just want to know how can I continue the numbers 1, 2, 3, and so on. Apparently the clients requirement is continuous counting until the end of the time range. 

Regards,

• There are a whole host of Anaplan formulas that work with time. As you are trying to sum over a range of months in your excel file I would recommend using the MOVINGSUM formula.

Here is a link to the Anaplan Time and Date Functions Anapedia page where you can get more information: 

https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Calculation_Functions/CF_Time_Date_Functions.htm 

• Hi @Jsdeloria21 

To judge from the comments and the pic attached in your second post, I would say that you should use CUMULATE

AlejandroGomez_0-1580465802431.png

CUMULATE will accumulate the "1" along the time period. As you can see, TIMESUM will retrieve the total of the whole time-dimension (unless you specify the beginning and ending of the time range you want to use).

I hope this helps. 

Alex.

Olivehorse

• @AlejandroGomez 

For performance reasons, previous() is faster than Cummulate() in a module using time as previous looks at just the previous member, but cumulate() hits all members over and over.

Rob

• Hi again @Jsdeloria21 ,

In order to meet your need and improve performance as per @rob_marshall  suggestion, you can use the formula shown below:

AlejandroGomez_0-1580478314895.png

As you can see, the output is exactly the same as CUMULATE (which is what I understood you need), but it only uses PREVIOUS. 

Thanks Rob for your input.

Let us know if it works

Alex.

• @Jsdeloria21,

I believe this might help you with the alternate workaround.

The problem here is with the else part. i.e formula says if previous('Row 5')<1 then 'Row 5' else previous('Row 5')+1.

Else should be greater than 1 according to the formula and hence it would update only July 18 as 2. ( Rest of the time series won't fall under else part)

You can copy the Row 5 value to some dummy line item with the yearvalue() or some formula and apply the logic.

sandeep_bk_0-1580917597997.png

Again I am not sure whether it helps in your case.

Thanks,

Sandeep