Return sum of forecast in a module with no time dimensions

hina1994
Frequent Contributor

Return sum of forecast in a module with no time dimensions

Hi 

I want to return the sum of values for a line item for my forecasted months. The module I want the value to be returned in has no time dimensions. Originally was using a look up to look at a certain month but not sure how to do it for sum of multiple months. 

- I have created a module that has my time filters. 

- Used a formula to say IF Forecasted Weeks then return Line Item else 0 

The module I now want to show a rolled up a number for remaining year has no time dimensions.  This is the template using to feed data into my no versions module. 

Thanks 🙂 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
DavidSmith
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Re: Return sum of forecast in a module with no time dimensions

@hina1994 

Have a look at TIMESUM

https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Calculation_Functions/All/TIMESUM.html

This is specifically designed for this.

If your forecast weeks are from the current period onwards, it should be quite simple to set up

David

View solution in original post

DavidSmith

@hina1994 

Sure

You can do this using 2  Time settings modules

1. Set up a monthly Time Setting module and flag the forecast periods (in my example it is months) and then count those using a simple IF

2019-07-22_11-04-02.png

2. Create a Time Lookup Module (no dimensions) and create a line item to return the current year (from the current period).  the format is Time Period - Year.  you then use that to LOOKUP the year value from the Time Settings Module

2019-07-22_11-10-36.png

Future Periods formula = Time Settings.Number of Forecast Periods[LOOKUP: Current Year] - 1

you need the -1 because the next formula uses "additional periods to add"

3. Use the Time Sum formula using 0 and Future periods as parameters

2019-07-22_11-05-57.png

2019-07-22_11-06-18.png

I hope this sorts it for you

Time Settings and Time Lookup module are really powerful and avoid the hard coding nature we see in the field

David

4 REPLIES 4
DavidSmith

@hina1994 

Have a look at TIMESUM

https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Calculation_Functions/All/TIMESUM.html

This is specifically designed for this.

If your forecast weeks are from the current period onwards, it should be quite simple to set up

David

hina1994
Frequent Contributor

@DavidSmith 

That's worked! 

If i wanted to only show forecast data for 2019 how would I do that ? My forecast weeks roll up for 2 years. 

DavidSmith

@hina1994 

Sure

You can do this using 2  Time settings modules

1. Set up a monthly Time Setting module and flag the forecast periods (in my example it is months) and then count those using a simple IF

2019-07-22_11-04-02.png

2. Create a Time Lookup Module (no dimensions) and create a line item to return the current year (from the current period).  the format is Time Period - Year.  you then use that to LOOKUP the year value from the Time Settings Module

2019-07-22_11-10-36.png

Future Periods formula = Time Settings.Number of Forecast Periods[LOOKUP: Current Year] - 1

you need the -1 because the next formula uses "additional periods to add"

3. Use the Time Sum formula using 0 and Future periods as parameters

2019-07-22_11-05-57.png

2019-07-22_11-06-18.png

I hope this sorts it for you

Time Settings and Time Lookup module are really powerful and avoid the hard coding nature we see in the field

David

hina1994
Frequent Contributor

I figured it out - needed to create a start week and end week where i select the weeks i want or need.

Thank you for your help 🙂