Sort list

alber818
Contributor

Sort list

Hi everyone,

I have a list of selective access for users. Due to the dynamic maintenance of that list from various sources, a sorting of the list items is missing. For readability, I want the list items to be sorted in the modules and on dashboards. I use a line item with formula CODE (ITEM ()), on which I set sorting. Due to the selective access on the list, this sorting does not work for users who do not have read or write access to all list items. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance for your response!

13 REPLIES 13
alber818
Contributor

@einas.ibrahim

Yes, that is what I'm looking for

einas.ibrahim
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Hi @alber818 

I thought I had a solution using the order of Hierarchy totals/levels but I can't seem to replicate it now.
Here is the best I was able to do based on my understanding of the requirements and also based on best compromises
Assuming you have a 3 level Hierarchy, the lowest being the User Names. It seems that the normal course of business is that you have items added to this level 3 hierarchy and you want to ensure that the data is always sorted.
Levels 1 and 2 don't change that often, correct? Then you can have levels 1 and 2 pre-ordered (Static) while your level 3 is ordered dynamically ( using sort)
In the rare event that you add an item to levels 1 or 2 (which I assume only an admin can do (??), you can place the newly added item in the correct order.

In Summary:

1. Order Levels 1 and 2 manually
    • You can either do this in the list tree view (easiest and fastest, but only available to workspace admins)
      Or
    • From a module or a dashboard, you can select the list items in the order you want them to appear and click on "show".
      Or
    • Use the "Select Items to Show"
  2. Add a line item with the sort criteria you want to use, for example, the first letter of the level 3 list items (Use Name)
    • For DISCO purposes such line item should be added to the Level 3 system module, but since Anaplan can't sort based on a line item in a different module, this line item will remain in your main module
  3. Sort the module based on the line item created in step 2 (create a saved view and publish it to a DB)

Every time a new user name is added regardless of its position in the original list, it'll be sorted.

This is how the List looks like ( I manually ordered Levels Department and Job Title)
image.png

And this is how the list data would appear in a module

image.png

Hope That helps

Einas
"Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime"

Dear community members
Consider posting your question as a new topic and not in the thread of another topic/question. This help other community members to easily find the answer they looking for and doesn't cause the original thread to be so cluttered that we can't find what we are looking for
DavidSmith
Community Boss

@alber818 

Just to say, if you haven't already found it we have released an action to automate the sorting on a list

Details can be found here

https://help.anaplan.com/anapedia/Content/Modeling/Build%20Models/Actions/Order-list.html

Hope this helps

David

einas.ibrahim
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

@DavidSmith 

It's a blessing. Thank you!

Einas
"Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime"

Dear community members
Consider posting your question as a new topic and not in the thread of another topic/question. This help other community members to easily find the answer they looking for and doesn't cause the original thread to be so cluttered that we can't find what we are looking for