Time Range

Hi All,

I am working on a model where in a dashboard I have to reduce the time range of a drop down from 10 years to 2 years. It displays 10 years as it uses the original time period of the anaplan model thereby displaying the entire time frame in the drop down.

Please help me how this can be resolved.

Thanks in advance.  

Best Answer

• jasonblinn
    Answer ✓

Is this an option?

Create Fake Month List for only the time periods that you need in your drop-down: 

jasonblinn_0-1588311011133.png

Then Make a module for mapping real-time to fake time. Fake time will be your dimension, and Real-time (Months) will be the format of the line item):

jasonblinn_1-1588311077926.png

Then Make a line item for your time selector that is formatted as your fake list. (This is where the end user will select from a drop down)

jasonblinn_2-1588311143936.png

Then there are a few ways to do this step, but the most straight forward would probably be to have 2 lines items. One for CY Lookup and one for PY lookup.

jasonblinn_3-1588311224002.png.    jasonblinn_4-1588311247433.png

Then in your variance module, you can reference these 2 line items as your lookup:

jasonblinn_5-1588311297635.png

PY = Data Module.Data[LOOKUP: PY Time Lookup]

CY = Data Module.Data[LOOKUP: CY Time Lookup]

This would need to be manually updated annually to keep the time periods correct unless you got creative with how this list is created, But if I am understanding your question correctly, then it should work.

Jason

Answers

• @Sampriti.Anand 

First change the time scale of your module from Model Calendar to Time Rage - Screenshot below

Misbah_0-1588237140128.png

Second if you want to publish these page selectors separately to dashboard then choose that option in the task menu - Screenshot below

Misbah_1-1588237263930.png

Hope that helps

Misbah

• Hello @Sampriti.Anand 

1. Create time range in time settings for required years. 

2. Create system module with above time range as dimension. Create Boolean line item and make it as TRUE.

3. In module wherever you want to control the time range for two years, add time filter from above boolean line item and save the view.

4. Publish this view to dashboard. You should have drop down with two years.

This way you will have 10 years data in the module but you can see only required two years.

Thanks,

Harsha

• Hi @Harsha,@Misbah 

I already have a time range of 2 years created and the module from which data is flowing has been restricted to that time dimension. I can not keep the time dimension of that module from which data is flowing as 10 years due to workspace size limit. So there is a separate module which has been created from which the time range selector has been created on the dashboard. I have attached the images for your reference.

Dashboard.JPG

Module.JPG

• Line items formatted as time will automatically assume the largest time range possible in your model, from the earliest time to the last time of the model time scale or time range, whatever is the extreme on either side. 

The only way that I can think to do what you are asking is to create a fake time list that has the two years that you want in the dropdown. Then you can map that fake time to the real-time, and have the drop-down line item based on your list instead of real-time, and use lookups in the corresponding line items that need to reference this line. 

Not ideal, but it is a workaround to get you there. 

Jason

• @Sampriti.Anand,

You can try something like this,

1. Create one flat time list for those time periods you want to see in the dropdown.

sandeep_bk_0-1588264379238.png

2. Create a selection module without any dimension and add 2 line items. One is formatted as Time flat list(the one we created) and another as an actual time period.

The second line item should be based on the selection you make in the first.

sandeep_bk_1-1588264514177.png

3. Create a time filter module which drives from step 2 second line item (time formatted)

sandeep_bk_2-1588264614522.png

4. Publish the selection module as a line item in the dashboard (step 2). It shows only those periods as your dropdown.

5. Voila, Apply the time filter on your module. 

Let me know if you need any further help. There are other ways too. I found this is quite simple.

Thanks,

Sandeep

• @Sampriti.Anand 

I have alternate way for this. I didn't create drop down here instead I am using boolean checkmark.

Hope it is helpful for you.

I have module with FY19-FY20 Model Calendar. And I have created a time range just for FY20.

Harsha_D_0-1588265022409.pngHarsha_D_1-1588265036468.png

I have created Time Selector Module with time range dimension and selected YEAR as time scale.

Harsha_D_2-1588265209152.png 

Module Looks like this.

Harsha_D_3-1588265284110.png

Then in the main module, create boolean line item and write a formula YEARVALUE(Time Selector.Month).

Harsha_D_4-1588265367451.png

Once you create this, apply filter to the module with this line item and save view.

Harsha_D_5-1588265423316.png

Now publish both modules to the dashboard and select which year to view in the Boolean box and refresh the dashboard. 

Harsha_D_6-1588265610688.png

Thanks,

Harsha

• Hi,
    I am not being able to apply this filter to the module from which data is coming. Could you please help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
  • @Sampriti.Anand

Could you please share the screenshot of module where you trying to apply filter?

Thanks, 

Sandeep

• Module 1.JPGModule2.JPG  The first image is the from which the values are shown in the dashboard and the second image is of the module which is being used for the calculation of the module in first image.

• Hi,

This looks good but will not solve the purpose as the the users have specifically asked for a drop down on the dashboard to select the month in which they want to see the data.

Please help me with any other way than this.

Thanks in advance.
  • Hi @jasonblinn ,

This looks good but are there any restrictions to it because I have used Timesum function for the calculations of FTM, YTD, DTG & FY. I am getting correct number in FY but it displays no data for FTM & YTD. 

The module from which values are flowing has no timescale & timerange as it uses the Timesum function but the back end module from which it refers values has the anaplan time period "month" & refers to the manually created time range of 2years in the model.

Thanks for helping.

Dashboard.JPGTime Selector.JPG

• Thanks
    I have been able to get the correct numbers with the approach suggested by you.

Thanks a lot for helping.

Regards,
    Sampriti Anand