Reference next item in a list

is there anyway to reference the next or previous item in a list by using a formula? I saw a post a while ago that inferred that this was not possible without quite a bit of conversion logic.

thanks,

josh

Comments

• @jbrass 

You can not do it with native functionalties like Next or Previous as they work only on Versions and Time. 

There could be one way which is to create a line item in Sys module and manually map 

Item 1- Item 2

Item 2 - Item 3

Item 3 - Item 4

so on and so forth

and then use lookup on this mapping line item. Not the clean solution but it works. 

• Hi @jbrass ,

It also depends on the name or code of the list. If you can tur one or the other in a sequential list of numbers, you could do the mapping using a FINDITEM().

For example, for **** time I would have a sequence of numbers in the code to represent the time item 1, 2, 3.......  then you could find the next or previous item with something like FINDITEM(**** time, TEXT(VALUE(CODE(**** Time Code))-1), or +1 for the next item. 

Andris

• @jbrass 

As @Misbah has described above I would map your list to somekind of reference that can be used via a LOOKUP to pull out the required list item. 

However, I would create a new list and dynamically map this to the target list so that the use could specific the value of previous or next and return the corresponding list item.

ChrisHeathcote_0-1616679485459.png

ChrisHeathcote_1-1616679507531.png

The challenge still remains as to how you best populate the mapping table as this is completed manually in this example.

Chris