Designate a dummy module as a Group, show alternate formatting for clearer model building experience

Similar to how you can set a line item to different formats to help readability and organization, I would like to have similar functionality in the module view window. Organizing the module view in a similar way would be really helpful as module count grows in large models. 

Currently the "best practice" is to create a dummy module and give it some way to stand out, such as "---" or "<<<" in the title.  My idea is to create a column in the modules view so the model builder can set the dummy module's style as a "group" which in turn should:

• Change the formatting of the module line to a different color, bold text etc. so it stands out
  • Enable all modules underneath it to roll up / collapse (until the next group) using a little clickable triangle
  • Inherit properties etc. (Example, Model builder can quickly set the "Functional area" of the group and it would pass that on to child modules)  

Here's a visual mockup of how I believe it would look when implemented:

Design with proposed changesDesign with proposed changes

Tagged:
5 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• I like the initial idea. I agree that the ability to collapse functional areas would be really useful.

Looking at your mockup I'm wondering if you could extend that style column to allow sub-categorisation of modules e.g. your Group section and then by DISCO classification within it (or a custom classification), maybe even with some simple colour coding...

• Great idea, I'd extend the idea to be a request for 'Folders' that we could create in any area, Modules, Lists, Actions etc. It would let us organise our models and tbf is provided in many other applications  

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!