Multiple UOM

Options

Hi,

For a client we have a setup where we need to plan and report on multiple UOM (liters and units).

Currently we're looking into setting this up as following:

• Client needs to decide per SKU on a 'planning' UOM. A UOM where all planning for that SKU will be done (inputs, overrides,...)
  • Create two Anaplan versions: planning version (version with property 'actual) and other version
  • Each module displayed on a dashboard will then have a formula setup as:
    • If isactualversion then formula calculation else previousversion('line item')*conversion rate
    • Exception: input line items would have as formula scope 'All versions except actual'

Is this a setup anyone else already used? Is there a reason why or why not?

Are there alternatives to deal with multiple UOM?

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Thomas Boutton

Answers

• I've actually done this before! Unfortuantely, I don't have access to that model anymore, so I can't share the details of the build.

For the most part, your considerations on whether or not to leverage native versions for this is the same as if you were using versions for anything else. However, the one added consideration is that if you use native versions for this, you basically block yourself from using them for any other purpose in your model.

An alternate approach might be to use Line Item Subsets to convert the input values to the desire UOM for final output. You can read more about Line Item Subsets here: https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Best-Practices/Line-item-subsets-demystified/ta-p/54309

• Hi Ryan,

The big advantage we have is that the native versions are not needed elsewhere in the model.

Using line item subsets is indeed a good alternative and works efficiently with multiple UOM! The reason why i wouldn't use this method is because you lose the iterative calculation. For every module where there is calculation done (in the UOM that the client wants) we would need an additional module to convert this to the relevant UOMs. (and thus you need 2 modules, 1 for calculation and 1 for reporting, which makes it more complex for the user as he needs to input in the calculation module and sees output in reporting modules).

With version you just deem one version the planning version and the others calculate with it based on the previousversion() function.

Is my reasoning correct or did you manage to setup calculations with a lot of input using line item subsets?