WARNING: App availability depends on referenced model existing

Stacey_Gibbens
edited November 2022 in Modeling

Yesterday, I refreshed our Dev and Test models from Prod to start a new development cycle.  The Dev and Test models were actually brand new (only about a week old -- no in-model development, only App development) and didn't think I had any actual need to keep the previous versions since I was just looking to refresh data. 
I had been working on an App that pointed to the Dev and Test models that were deleted.  I wrongly assumed that I would be able to simply remap the app to the new versions of the models.  However, deleting of the model actually deleted the app.  Wow.  

A similar concept applies to archiving -- although this does not delete the App, it does hide it until the archived model is restored.  Only then can you point the app to a different model and re-archive.  

This concept needs WAY MORE ATTENTION.  I am hoping that Anaplan Support will be able to restore the workspace in question from 24 hours ago, as this would not harm anything and hopefully would restore the app.  I will update this post when I get more info... Wish me luck. 

Please see the following links for more information and upvote!!!  This really was a bad surprise that I didn't expect, based on the fact that an app can exist without any pages.  

NUX: App is hidden and inaccessible when all pages... - Anaplan Community

New UX - pages/apps to remain visible after source... - Anaplan Community

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Stacey_Gibbens
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓

Anaplan Support was able to help me restore the original models and the app.  Major kudos! 

The window to restore a deleted model is 2 weeks, so if you end up needing this kind of assistance, do it QUICKLY.  😉

Answers

• Misbah
    edited November 2022

@Stacey_Gibbens 

So Sorry to hear about that. Yes, it is a pain and although I had already written an article about archival but never wrote anything about Deletion as that looked obvious - if archival of the model could do such things, deleting the model - all **** will break loose.

Impact of Model Archival on UX Pages–and the Worka... - Anaplan Community

Another issue that need attention is PUBLISH. When anything needs to  be published on UX, it is not environment specific, which it needs to be.

MIsbah

Miz Logix

• Stacey_Gibbens
    edited November 2022

@Misbah 

Yeah, I missed that article.  <sad> 

Thanks for publishing it!!

Stacey

• luke_e
    edited November 2022

Looks like there's something in the 'Targeted for November' release notes that may finally address the 'disappearing app when model archived' dealio.

luke_e_0-1667514095650.png

Has been a pain point of ours for some time as well.

• Stacey_Gibbens
    edited November 2022
    Very cool, Luke! Thanks for sharing. 🙂