Allow hashing out of lines in the formula editor

Options
m.angeles11
edited February 2023 in Modeling Ideas

Issue: As a model builder, we sometimes need to alter lines of code in the formula of a module. It would be really helpful if there was a character (e.g. hash symbol "#") that Anaplan can ignore so that model builders are able to quickly remove certain lines of code from being used in the calculation without having to delete them.

Use Case: This feature could be used to write notes within the formula that might assist another model builder as to why a formula was changed and when. It is also helpful when the model builder is testing variations of the formula and not having to copy and paste previous iterations of a formula.

Example:

Original calculation:

Amended calculation:

In the example above, only the calculation outlined in GREEN would be used in the formula and all rows with a "#" at the beginning of the row are ignored.

26 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• I like it - would definitely improve the modelling experience when:

• Ttrying to debug formulas that aren't working
    • When copying modules and changing the 'applies to' (often you have to copy the formulas out to a file and add them back in step by step which can be slow)
  • Great suggestion, Michael!

This functionality exists within many other coding languages (e.g. MS VBA, sql) and its presence assists with development and transparency.

• Hello,
    The post is composed of 2 different ideas:

• Commenting on the settings and,
    • Testing the variables of the formula.

I will speak from my own experience,
    When I take over a model, I rarely see comments in the "Notes" column, whether in the "module", "line item", "general lists", "actions", etc.
    And yet, feeding the "Notes" column is a best practice!

I'm more and more convinced of the use of this column for all sorts of comments.

Finally, for testing variables, I would have added my "+1" to this idea, fortunately for us, now we have indentation in the new interface.
    It becomes much easier to add "AND/OR" + "FALSE/TRUE" or "*0" to test variables (at least, that's my method).
    Don't forget to clean up!

I hope to have helped,
    //
    I think that the formula is always stored in "raw", and not indented (it is just a display),
    I imagine that adding such a feature would risk a lot of unwanted effects or regression.

• I came here to see how is this going. Any news Anaplan team?

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!