NUX Dashboard Column Charts - Change default legend label "Series 1" when no value returned

Options
ychen39
edited August 2023 in User Experience Ideas

The scenario is that we have created a stacked column chart which was synced with context selector or a filter that we added to the module. If the filter (or context selector) returned no value, an empty chart would be displayed with a default legend label “Series 1” on the dashboard.

This default text displayed on the dashboard is not editable and it is not providing any meaningful information to end users (see the attached screenshot)

Two potential solutions that we propose are:

Option 1: Change the default text from “Series 1” to “No value” -> a short-term solution

Option 2: If the card has no value returned, dynamically hide this card, and extend its neighboring card to cover the space. -> a longer-term feature change

Also looking forward to any other suitable workarounds to this limitation. Thank you!

10 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• @ychen39

1. Regarding the specific text displayed, would the steps outlined in this thread help with replacing "Series 1" with something more reasonable?
    2. Can you expand on each of the situations you indicated that results in an empty chart? i.e. a) When do filters hide the data? and b) What are the examples where your context selector would return no value?

• Hi @ https://community.anaplan.com/profile/ryan_kohn ,

Thank you very much for your reply. Here are my findings / explanations:

1. This post seems to be aiming to remove the Axis Label, but I am facing an issue with hiding the
    legend. My Axis is displayed and hide as I expected.

2. It happens when the filter returns no row in the module. Currently I only work with stacked column
    chart, so I am not sure if this happens with other types of charts as well.

I've made a fake list and module to demonstrate as an example

Assume we have a list like this:

-ALL CATEGORIES

• Fruit
      • Apple
      • Orange
      • Banana
      • Blueberry
    • Vegetable
      • Broccoli
      • Spinach
      • Kale

The fruits items are a subset called "Fruit" and so do the vegetable items.

And I want to show costs for each category like the first screenshot attached.

In the first screenshot, there are two charts, one is for fruits and used the list subset "Fruit" so does the Vegetable chart.

We currently have selective access on the entire list, so some the user can see both Fruit and Vegetable
    categories, but some can only see fruit costs, and other can only see vegetable costs.

In this case, if a user is granted to Fruit-only access, then their Vegetable chart will not have
    any row returned, thus return "Series 1", as shown in the second screenshot attached.

Hope this can be helpful to explain my question. Thank you very much!

• elif
    edited December 2023
    Options

Apply white color and it would remove the series 1 text

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!