Why do filters break when pivoting a view?

Options

Hi,

Why does pivoting a view cause filters to break? This has been a major pain point for our users- is it possible there is a good work around?

Thank you.

Answers

• @tomgilbert

Because of the way the filter is defined…If you have Accounts.Data > 0 as a filter and then re-pivot the view to put Customers in the row along with Accounts, then the filter needs to change because it is now looking at the combination of Customers and Accounts.

• lesliepa
    Options

@rob_marshall Would you mind elaborating? We have this issue with our time filters on pages - when our default view is Accounts as rows and Regions as columns, the filter works but when you pivot Regions to rows and Accounts to pages the time filter breaks. Is there any way around this?

• @lesliepa

Yes…The placement of the lists define the tabs of the filter. For example, if I have two lists in my page axis, one list (time) on my column axis

my filter options will look like, each list being separate.

However, if I have a nested row, my filter options will be the combination of the nested lists

or

And when the filter is defined, it is defined for that "tab" within the filter. So, when you move a list from column to row or row to column or page axis, the "filter definition" changes. In the above, if I move Time to columns with LoB, by filter option would now be

Does that help?

• lesliepa
    Options

@rob_marshall Thank you for the quick reply! I'm not sure I'm completely following - I have this issue even when time stays in columns by itself. In the example below, my time filter holds when I pivot in the model, but not when I do the same pivot on the page.

• @lesliepa

That looks like an issue with with the way the filter is set up in the UX. Take a look at what @Agandhi put together in this How I Built it.

• lesliepa
    Options

@rob_marshall Thanks, I took a look and this is consistent with how our time filters are normally built. I simplified the example to demonstrate the issue we're having, but even if I build the exact same time filter as Arjun I see the same issue.