Defining Anaplan Add-ins, Add-ons, and Extensions
We have simplified the terminology we use for Anaplan Add-ins and Add-ons. In order to provide complete clarity about these products, “extensions” now represents the product family for the individual Anaplan Add-ons and Add-ins. The blog below breaks down the new naming details and best practices.
Individual product names
For individual products, we use the third-party's standard terminology:
- Microsoft uses the word "Add-in". The official Anaplan product names are “Anaplan Add-in for Excel”and “Anaplan Add-in for PowerPoint”.
- Google uses the word "Add-on". The official Anaplan product name is “Anaplan Add-on for Google Sheets”*.
However, it is also acceptable to reference these products as their shorter, more commonly used names, such as Excel Add-in, PowerPoint Add-in (and bundling the two together as Office Add-ins), and Google Sheets Add-on.
New product family name
"Extensions" is our new product family that refers to all of the Add-ins/Add-ons listed above that extend the capabilities of our Anaplan platform. You can also use “extensions” to refer to all of your Anaplan Add-ins and Add-ons, or as individual extensions:
- Anaplan Extension for Excel
- Anaplan Extension for PowerPoint
- Anaplan Extension for Google Sheets
What about plug-ins?
We do not refer to these products as plug-ins. Although the term is a valid, commonly used industry term, it is not used by any of the third-party products we work with.
What about third-party Add-ins/Add-ons?
This terminology is unclear, as it implies that the Add-ins/Add-ons are developed by third-parties, whereas Anaplan develops the extensions mentioned above.
What about Add-ons for third-party products?
Although this term is technically correct, "Add-on" contributes to the confusion between Add-in and Add-on, so we recommend using "extensions" instead.
Was this useful?
- Give us some kudos and comment to tell us what you think
- We will be changing all our documentation to reflect the new branding
- Learn more about the Anaplan extensions by visiting our one-stop-shop on Community
* On Early Access
Thanks for sharing this update! I wanted to know if you have additional information on potential business use cases with the PowerPoint Add-in? Any resources you can direct me to would be super helpful. Thanks!0
Thanks for sharing this useful information.0