Behavior of Time Setting in future fiscal years.

Hi Experts,

I have a question about Time Setting in anaplan. Under Model Calendar, there is an option "Current Fiscal Year". At the moment, I can see FY20 as current fiscal year and can see past 5 fiscal years (FY15 - FY19) and future 5 fiscal years FY21 - FY25.

As time setting is in-built functionality. Does FY15 disappear when FY21 is selected going to next year. 

How dynamically current fiscal year work, in case of future years keep becoming current year.

Do I need to select FY21 manually as current fiscal year, once fiscal year 2021 starts. Would data stored against FY20 will delete, what would happen to FY21 data entered in FY20.

Please let me know, if my queries are not clear. Here I am thinking about futuristic perspective, when current fiscal year becomes past year, future fiscal year keeps on becoming current fiscal year. I want to understand how time setting works in such cases.

Thanks,

Varun

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Varun,

Regarding time settings, it depends on what time setting you have selected.

You are correct in pointing out that current fiscal year is limited to only 10 years (+/-5), except for time setting - Weeks General.

But that does not mean you can store data only for 10 years. You have option of selecting a range of time (20 years in past and 50 years in future) in either of the time scale which will preserve the data for the range of years that are in the model.

The most important used reference to time setting is the current period. Please note this will again fall in the above range you have selected.

The current fiscal year with number of years in past and future does help in governing the data storage. 

E.g. If the current fiscal year is 2020-21, number of years in past is 10 years. In this case you can store data for 2010-2021. When you change the current fiscal year to 2021-22, 2010-11 data will be wiped off. However you can store the data flat in the model in case you need to record these transactions.

There is a good read on the time settings in Anapedia. Would recommend that article. 

https://help.anaplan.com/en/0e08cf49-4a80-4a4e-a72d-7dcbb151edf1-Time

Let me know in case any further help is needed.

Thanks

AK

• @akhil.kohli Thanks Akhil

There is an example, I would like to share. Lets suppose, Current Fiscal Year is 2021. I have created a Model Calendar for current fiscal year FY20. I have created a module and shared the UX with business users to enter data. Business enters data in the mid of every year as part of their budgeting process, which is year activity. 2020 Budgeting Activities are completed. Next budgeting activity will start in Year 2021. Let's say, year 2021 has come, budget cycle is going to start shortly, in this case, would I need to change the current fiscal year to FY21 in Model Calendar?

Thanks,

Varun

• Hi Varun,

Its best practice to change the calendar year and should be an Admin Task (this one once a year task). If you want to store data, you can keep history/future years for reference. But be cautious, it will impact the size of the model.

Make use of future/past years with current period to effectively monitor the time scale setting

Thanks
    AK