Ability for summaries to only include the items which are visible after filtering

Options

Details of Enhancement:
Enhance filters on a dashboard to update totals and subtotals in summary rows - when a filter is applied, the subtotal should update to sum only the filtered records

How this would help their business process:
When users see a filtered view, or adjust a filter, subtotals and totals can be misleading / not correctly represent what is on the screen

Tagged:
63 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Comments

• Status changed to: In Review
  • this is a great Idea and a mus to have

• Rebecca
    Options

This requires some considerable changes to the fundamentals of our calculation engine and has quite a high cost. We need to see more demand before we can add this to the roadmap and start work on this.

• 'Summaries for filtered items' is also one of the requirements I faced. I would also very much appreciate this feature.

• It's a heavy calculation workaround but often go with if not filter then Y else X as there's often more false than true.

But having it properly in the engine a bit like subtotal(9,[filter range]) in Excel would be very beneficial.

• I'm very much in favor of fixing this, and given the default functionality of displaying summaries on filtered grids without making it obvious to the end user that a grid is filtered (let alone how) and we have the potential for some very serious misunderstandings in reporting.

I'd assert that this needs to be at least band-aided with one or more of the following lighter-weight interim changes ASAP:

A. Do something (Shading/italicizing/etc.) to the dashboard grid / export output to indicate that a filter is present and that summaries may not be reproducible solely from the data reported.  Sensible approaches that come to my mind (by no means a comprehensive list, of course):

1. Italicize the summary values on the dashboard grid

2. Append an asterisk to summary values in the grid or export file

3. Bold the borders of a dashboard grid to give a visual cue that a filter has been applied.

B. Lock out display of summary values whenever a filter is applied that changes the number of cells that would contribute to their respective calculations (i.e., no need to lock out calculations for filters that don't touch a relevant dimension, e.g., Current User).

• A Subtotal like function in Summary is really what I am also looking for

• Definitely makes sense to have this functionality

• This would be very helpful

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!