Manage Import Data Sources - Timing

Highlighted
Community Boss

Manage Import Data Sources - Timing

Hi team,

How long does Anaplan retain a file that has been uploaded to the 'Manage Import Data Sources' item in the Action Settings?

It seems to retain the data for a certain length of time and then if you attempt to edit the Action to which the uploaded data is associated with you will receive the attached error

Thanks

Mark

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Re: Manage Import Data Sources - Timing

@MarkTurkenburg 

48 hours if you saved the file as private.

Indefinite if you save as admin or everybody.

Jared Dolich
Highlighted
Community Boss

Nice 1 - thanks @JaredDolich 

Highlighted
Certified Master Anaplanner

@JaredDolich 

Just one question in this regard;

What If one model builder has imported the file in private mode and then after 48 hours duration the other model builder wants to check/update the mapping of that import action? 

As per my understanding apart from re importing the file and updating the mode to admin or everybody will help to check/update the mapping of that import action. But What about the scenario if the file is no longer available with anyone ? 

Highlighted

@Jitendra.Vishnolia 

Great observation!

In that case if the default file is set to private, then the file will have to be uploaded again after 48 hours of non-use.

Here's the Anapedia page that explains how the default file is set and what happens when/if it's changed.

I keep this image in my OneNote file. Its one of those images that I felt was worth keeping because I refer to it all the time.

DefaultFile.png

Jared Dolich
Highlighted
Certified Master Anaplanner

@JaredDolich ;

Thanks for sharing this information. 

Regards,

Jitendra

Highlighted

@Jitendra.Vishnolia 

One other thing I forgot to mention. And I will admit this is NOT scientific or probably even best-practice.

If you use data integration for export like Anaplan Connect, the APIs, or one of the native connectors with one of the ETL tools, I found it helpful to first delete the file first before exporting and subsequently downloading. I had posed a similar question on this earlier in the hopes of coming up with a best practice. I do this because sometimes the export file doesn't update, especially if the view changes that is used to create the export. But I can't prove it - my tests are inconclusive. 

So if you know what's going on, please let me know!

Jared Dolich