Dates in Timesum

Options

Timesum formula currently works with time periods.

When the granularity of the data is Days, the formula cannot return anything (although it does not generate an error).

The idea here is to enable Timesum to also work with Dates so that we can apply this formula to more granular use cases.

31 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• And would of course make the following workaround nicely redundant (which is a good thing): https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Best-Practices/Sum-Transactions-Based-on-Properties-Between-Two-Dates-Days/ta-p/59562

• This would be a logical extension of this function so totally agree with this request.

• What a great idea! How has this not been implemented yet?

• This would make complete sense to allow a daily timesum.  A lot of great use cases for retailer sales data working on different calendars

• Great idea Axel, hope this gets implemented.

• That's a great idea and would be very useful on something I'm working on currently

• This would make the function more useful, specifically to sum fine grained time snippets.

• Hi,

Correct me if Im wrong, but it is possible to use timesum on a dates

The trick is you may need to change places of the dates in vice-versa order.

Like Timesum(XXX, End Date, Start Date)

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 19.58.08.png

• I can confirm that the previous trick of using dates in the TimeSum function works for me

Timesum(XXX, End Date, Start Date)

In my case, the model calendar does not have a week dimension enabled and I had a requirement to calculate weekly sum of data from a module dimensioned by day. I calculated the start date for that and then used the timesum(xxx, End Date, Start Date) and it calculated the weekly sum as expected.

• Thank you so much.
    It has to work as per syntax.

• NoahJ
    Options

This is a very strange behavior, and thank you @nikolay_denisov for describing how to get it to work! Additionally, the documentation has been updated at some point:

https://help.anaplan.com/timesum-45c3bc48-4d80-490d-9b18-76af505c6907 article lists in the "Constraints" section:

• If you use a date value for either the Start period or End period argument, their positions are swapped. This means that the End period argument should be a date in the period when aggregation begins and Start period should a the date in the period when aggregation ends.

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!