List property formula functionality to match module line item functionality

usman.zia
edited November 2022 in Modeling Ideas

Hi Anaplan! 

It would be great if when you are entering a formula within a list property/attribute you can select another list item property by clicking on it instead of having to enter the name each time. 

This would also need to apply when referencing a modules line item, so clicking on the line item when a formula is active brings in the name instead of having to type it in a list property/attribute. 

This would also need to leave the formula active (still connected) when you navigate to another list property or module line item so that you can click on it to bring in the item. 

This would allow much more flexibility in using the tool and stop model builders from having to write and save and remember long references. 

It would be great to see this on the roadmap! 

Thanks,

Usman

31 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• AnaplanIdeas
    edited November 2022
  • SathyaM
    edited November 2022

Like Modules, we should also have a Formula edit Mode for Lists. 

Instead of writing the Module/Line Item names manually, good to have if the formula editor floats over the page.

• Miran
    edited November 2022
  • DavidSmith
    edited November 2022

We don't advocate using list properties for exactly this reason.  Keep the formulas in a System module and use line items rather than list properties

• usman.zia
    edited November 2022

Hi @DavidSmith

I completely understand your point and do agree, but this is less for creating formulas for calcs in lists and more for when you are concating say a property code with a unit code and you have to type the name of both property item and unit item instead of being able to click on them to populate them in the formula. So then for display name we could have a concatenated code.  So that the use of formulas and the way we populate them is consistent among the modules and lists. So it more about whats availble from the functionality of Anaplan as a product then best practice. 

Thanks,

Usman

• DavidSmith
    edited November 2022

You can do that in a module formula.  Whilst in the formula editor, you can navigate the the Lists and Rollups section.  Click on General Lists and then select the list you need to reference.  It will be populated in the formula so no need to manually type.  I recommend this approach for beginners or when the list contains numbers of special characters, as the 's are often confusing

• usman.zia
    edited November 2022

I agree with you it was just a thought from seeing new users struggling during training with list properties.

• DavidSmith
    edited November 2022

You'll be pleased to hear that we are changing our training to reflect this

• Miran
    edited November 2022
  • rolympia
    edited November 2022

Hi guys! Sort of late to this discussion. But as I understand it, yes it's best practice to do real formulae crunching as module formulae, but formula are still needed in list properties for many case-to-case basis; I mean that's why the functionality is still there. I guess I'm wondering if we aren't considering a UI quality-of-life enhancement merely to dissuade bad practice, no matter that the benefits when it is actually warranted.

Just throwing in my support for this idea; still I'd love to hear what people think.

• DavidSmith
    edited November 2022

@rolympia 

I'm going to stick to my belief that apart for the known exceptions, List Properties are not needed, but I will say, as part of the new Formula Editor we will be looking to unify the experience to create a formula will be the same whether it is a line item or a list property

David

• Fujimura
    edited November 2022

I totally agree with your opinion!

I think it's really troublesome jobs to type all letters😑

Thank you

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!