PREVIOUSITEM() formula which is like PREVIOUS() but references a list item instead of time

Hi Anaplan, 

I was searching for the use of the PREVIOUS function but on a list item but it is not currently possible. 

@peter_mcanena has suggested this but only in a discussion thread. 

So as his idea suggests:

PREVIOUSITEM(x, y) where

• x: Any expression
  • y: List

The expression x must be based on the list y. PREVIOUSITEM(x, y) would then pick up the value of x from the previous item in the list y.

Anaplan would need to allow PREVIOUSITEM(x, y) to be used in the definition of x itself, in the same way as PREVIOUS(), without creating a circular reference.

full thread here:

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Anaplan-Platform-Discussions/PREVIOUSITEM-PREVIOUS-on-a-list/m-p/33798#M3477

It would be great if this was developed! 

Thanks,

Usman

96 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Comments

• Status changed to: In Review
  • Status changed to: In Review
  • Another vote for this functionality.  This would be useful for creating any time based calc, instead of using time, one could create a calculation grid over a serialized list.

• One more vote for this functionality. Please make it available soon.

• I would extend this request to more flexible function that allows to take not only the previous item, but specify an offset. e.g. OFFSETITEM(List, -1) returns the previous item, OFFSETITEM(List, 1) returns the next item, OFFSETITEM(List, 2) returns the item after the next one and so on.

• I am trying to use formula as summary method, which can not be combined with Lookup. So it would be great with this function!

• This is a great idea - it's been a few years now, any progress in whether it will be implemented?

@DavidT - tagging in case you have any answers for this.

• @margie.llana not an answer yet, but wholehearted support from me @david.harding! Is there an update on this one?

• This is actually now supported in Polaris. In Polaris there is an additional parameter on NEXT(), PREVIOUS(), LEAD(), LAG(), OFFSET() etc. which specifies the dimension to be incremented over.

• @david.harding - will this ever be available in the classic Anaplan engine?

• Unlikely I'm afraid. The way in NEXT/PREVIOUS/OFFSET etc are implemented for the Classic engine are very specific to how Time is handled in the Classic engine. In Polaris, Time is implemented more generically in the same way as any other dimension - which allows us to have this capability there very easily.

• Got it - thanks for the updates here!

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!