Creating production model from existing model

I have a model that I would like to create a production model from.  Currently, the model is in the target workspace, not in our development workspace.  In order to not break sync, would it be better to move the current model into the development workspace then create a production copy?

Best Answer

• Correct, the size will remain the same either way during the copy.

Once you get your DEV model created, you can reduce any hierarchies that are production data so you don't have a full data set in your dev model, which will reduce the size of the DEV model.

So the second that the copy is made, it will be the same size, but you can immediately reduce the hierarchies to save space if needed. (Again, if they are marked as Production data only).

Jason

Answers

• @mEEhan011 

You can copy model into the target workspace itself by clicking on "Create Model from Revision" and then import the model into other workspaces. Importing the model doesn't break the sync.  This option will just create the model without production data and you can use this model as Dev model for your existing model

On the other hand Copy model copies the model along with production data and creates a revision tag in the source model and copied target model. 

• @Misbah 

I have already set up my production lists and production imports.  If I'm understanding you correctly, you suggest copying the model and importing the copy into the Dev workspace?  Then I would just change the original model to be in production?

• @Misbah 

Also, the compare and sync relationship between the original (target) model and the imported (source) model in the Dev workspace will still exist if I follow the import path, correct?

• This is correct. Once you copy a model, both are compatible until you start making changes. Copy the model into a new workspace, make the original (Production) Deployed, and then make all your changes in your new DEV and ALM will work just fine.

One-piece to note is that your model history will not copy, so your previous development work's history will remain in your production model as opposed to moving with your DEV model. 

Jason

• @jasonblinn 

Just to be clear, your recommendation is to copy the model from a revision tag or use the import model function in manage models?

• Ultimately it depends what you want to happen with the data.

If you copy the model using the import function, then it will retain data that is typed into cells. If this is what my current model looked like, the copy would be identical:

jasonblinn_0-1600269402456.png

If you use the Create from revision tag feature, the data will not carry over and this is what the same module would look like:

jasonblinn_1-1600269462503.png

So either will work, but you need to decide if you want to copy your data as well or not. If you use the create from revision tag feature, be sure to create a new revision tag before creating the new model so you dont lose any work form the last revision tag until now. 

Let me know if there is something that is unclear!

Jason

• @jasonblinn 

Okay that makes sense.  Either way the size of the copied model will remain the same as the original with/without the data in cells or is there a size benefit to not copying over the data?

For my needs, I'll just need the structure so if there is a savings on space that would be ideal.

• Sounds great. Thank you!
  • @jasonblinn 

Last question, should I promote the original model to Production prior to the copy or does the timing not matter?

• It does not matter.

All that putting a model in production mode does is lock down the ability to make structural changes. From a purely technical perspective, you can run an ALM sync from a standard mode model to another standard mode model, although I would not recommend it as it could get confusing which one is production, and you certainly do not want to accidentally make a change in the wrong model. 

I would personally do it immediately after copying the model, as that would require the least number of steps, but from a technical perspective, it does not matter one bit. I would certainly make sure to do this before making any other changes to make sure that changes are not made in both models.

Jason

• @mEEhan011 ,

Just make sure before you make the copy, IF you are using Production Data lists, that they are set correctly.