Author: Pradip Kakade is a Certified Master Anaplanner and Sr. Principal Consultant of Enterprise Solutions at Genpact.
Every planning implementation begins with excitement. The business has invested in a new planning platform, requirements are complete, the project team is aligned and go-live is circled on the calendar. Then comes the moment every implementation team waits for: "Congratulations! The solution is live." For a while, everything feels like success. A few weeks later, however, another conversation often begins: "The model looks great, but many planners are still maintaining their own spreadsheets." I've heard this more than once during my career, and it taught me an important lesson. Technology can enable planning, but it doesn't guarantee adoption.
Looking back at different planning implementations, I don't remember the projects because of complex formulas or sophisticated model designs. I remember them because of the people involved, the conversations we had, and the small decisions that helped users trust the solution. Those experiences changed the way I approach every implementation.
Start by understanding people, not the platform
One of the first questions I ask during discovery workshops is simple: "Walk me through how you plan today." Not because I want to recreate the existing process, but because I want to understand where people struggle. Where do approvals get delayed? Which reports are manually prepared every month? Which numbers are questioned every planning cycle? These conversations reveal much more than a requirements document ever can. Technology should improve the planning process, not simply digitize it.
Don't wait until UAT to involve users
I've seen projects where business users first experience the solution during User Acceptance Testing. By then, it already feels like someone else's system. Instead, I prefer involving users throughout the journey. We discuss wireframes before dashboards are built, review prototypes instead of waiting for finished functionality, and collect feedback early and often. One of my favorite observations is this: People rarely resist change; they resist being excluded from it. When users contribute to the solution, they naturally become its advocates.
Every demo should build confidence
A demo isn't just about showing new functionality; it's about answering one question: "Is this solution going to make my work easier?" If users leave a session feeling more confident than when they arrived, the project is moving in the right direction. Small improvements delivered consistently often create more excitement than waiting months for a perfect release. Early success builds momentum, and momentum builds adoption.
Training should feel familiar
One mistake I've made earlier in my career was focusing too much on explaining features. Users were polite and they listened carefully, but afterwards they still asked, "Can you show me how I complete my monthly forecast?" That question changed how I think about training. Executives need business insights, planners need practical examples, and administrators need confidence to support the solution. Everyone learns differently because everyone uses the platform differently. Training becomes much more effective when it reflects real business scenarios.
Trust is built one number at a time
The first question after go-live is rarely about calculations. More often it's, "Why doesn't this match my source report?" If users don't trust the numbers, they won't trust the platform. That's why validation, reconciliation, and transparent assumptions are just as important as dashboards and visualizations. Trust takes time to build, but it takes only one unexplained variance to lose.
Go-live is not the finish line
One phrase has stayed with me throughout my career: "Go-live is the beginning of the relationship, not the end of the project." Some of the most valuable improvements happen after deployment. A planner suggests a simpler workflow, a finance manager requests a better variance view, or a sales leader identifies a report that saves hours every month. Continuous improvement keeps the solution relevant as the business evolves. I've come to believe that people don't adopt planning platforms because they are powerful. They adopt them because they make every day planning easier.
Create champions, not just users
Every successful implementation I've been part of had a handful of business users who genuinely believed in the solution. They answered questions before the project team could, encouraged colleagues to try new processes, shared ideas for future enhancements, and became trusted voices within their own teams. Those champions often had a bigger impact on adoption than any formal training session.
A lesson I'll continue to carry forward
When I first started working on planning implementations, I believed success depended mainly on delivering the right solution. Today, I see it differently. Success comes from helping people feel confident enough to leave old habits behind. The platform matters, the model matters, and performance matters. But lasting adoption comes from listening, collaborating, building trust, and improving continuously.
The next time someone tells me, "The implementation is complete," I'll probably smile and ask one more question: "How are the users feeling about it?" Because, in the end, the success of a planning transformation isn't measured by the sophistication of the model. It's measured by the confidence people have in using it to make better decisions every day.