Version Subsets

Ability to create subsets of the versions list

Benefits: This will allow versions to be used much more versatile way, as the model-builder will be able to specify which versions will show up in which modules. For example, use forecast & actuals in some modules, but use V1, V2, V3 for scenario planning in other modules.

Tagged:
122 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Comments

• Status changed to: In Review
  • You can always make a general list called versions and this would allow you to to able to create subsets on the version list. 

If you decide to go this route make sure you consider the benefits of the versions list which will no longer be available when using a general list

- Switchover 

- Formula scope  

- Edit from / to dates 

• I think version subsets is a great idea, this would make versions more useful by giving you the native functionality with the ability to subset.  Then you could use different versions as needed, without the need for the workaround. 

• Status changed to: In Review
  • can we expect an update on version subsetting anytime soon?

• I support the idea very much! I see this post is the 'hottest' post under the 'Under investigation' topic. Will this be put in a roadmap? 

• Definitely, the feature of having the subset on the default version dimensions will help a lot. It decreases the model size as we can use the required version members alone in the modules.  Awaiting for this feature to be available in the near future. Currently, in our implementations, we are using the custom version list and using workarounds to get the native feature of switchover, formula & edit from/to. 

• This would be a huge help. Versions are powerful, but I find they create a lot of sparsity. The workaround is cumbersome and difficult to explain to lower tenured model builders. 

• I support this idea, would make model design simplier.

• I agree, this would be a great feature from space optimization perspective as well! 

• The reason we need Version Subsets is to perform Variance Analysis between Actuals Year over Year, or between Year of Actuals and Year of Budget or Forecast without using workarounds.  Other MOLAP FP&A Applications have this ability - it's incredibly powerful. E.g., IBM Cognos Finance (a.k.a. "Submissions") 

Once Anaplan develops the ability to do Version Subsets then Financial Reporting will be a snap expanding Anaplan beyond the FP&A domain into the Controllership.

• @allen 

While I agree we need subsets on versions, but you can absolutely do variance analysis now without the subsets by creating line items for the versions you need and using a SELECT statement.

• @rob_marshall 

Line Item for Versions using SELECT statement is just a workaround for the need to have a true dimension within a Module for the combination of Year and Type of Version.  It's so powerful.  BTW Hyperion calls them Scenarios. And yes without GRID calculations still tough to do Variance Analysis, e.g. % of Rev on Columns with Line Items on Rows and Version Subsets on Columns.  GRID calculation is an additional layer of formulas after the Module is created and before it is published into a Dashboard or App. Like Compare, but on Formulaic Steriods.

(Never use "SELECT"... but use "SELECT" lol)

• @allen 

Yes, I am well versed on what Hyperion calls them.  And to be accurate, the rule is, never use SELECT except on Versions and top level members...(link)

Get Started with Idea Exchange

See our Submission Guidelines and Idea Evaluation Criteria, then start posting your own ideas and showing support for others!